What styles can you not drink?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I feel like a failure in some respects because I just don't care for barleywines. I can *appreciate* the craft in a barleywine, but I hate the overwhelming sweetness. Even when properly bittered, it's just too much.

Please don't stone me for admitting this!

I like them now and then, but I'll never dedicate space or resources to brewing one for the same reason.

Have not found a fruit beer that I can get through, but have had a bunch that can't get past the second sip. Also lambics, don't understand the sour taste thing, but also have only had a few of these. Not really any beer that I won't try, but I make up my mind if I like it or not very fast.

I can't drink anything that has any hint of liquorice or anise. A couple off the top of my head: Old Rasputin Imperial Stout (I'll probably catch some slack for that one; DFH Raison D'Etre

I'll drink (2) HOT 30pks of mixed Coors, Miller, Bud before I'll ever attempt to drink another Lindemans Geuze Cuvee Renee'.

I even tried sugaring it as is suggested the locals do, but blech!

And I like sours.

I tried that recently. The only gueuze I've ever had. I was thoroughly disgusted at the first glass I had. Then I figured out the trick for me was to pour only about a 1/4 serving at a time. Just a taste is all I can stomach.

I honestly haven't found a style that I don't like. Just particular brands' versions of the styles are sometimes bad.

Sam Adams Cranberry Lambic made me want to punch myself in the face for drinking it.

I've found the quote for my sig! :ban:

As far as beers I don't like: Henry Weinhardts Hefe was absolutely terrible, first Hefe I didn't like.
Blue Moon tasted like a stale Coors and can't imagine trying it again.
Pyramids Apricot Ale gave me a badass headache, but I do wanna try a cherry stout.

ANYTHING smoked....I had a smoked imperial porter (left hand) took a drink of it and ALMOST threw up...omg...it was just absolutely awful in my honest opinion. The next few weeks following my trial of this beer everytime I smelled something smoked like that it made me feel nauseous.

I am not a fan of Barleywine. I remember it being really sweet and had an odd taste, but that was 10 years ago so I am going to try it again. Other than the BMC related swill I will try and generally drink just about any quality craft brew. I generally get a different sixer or bomber every time I go to the liquor store.

It's not a beer, but I can't drink ciders anymore. When I was living in Scotland a group of friends and I were at Costco and there was a four-pack of 3 liter cider "torpedoes". There were four of us so we thought it would be a great idea to each drink a 3 liter of cheap cider. The night started alright, but then a couple other friends came over and offered us better beer and other...um...things to consume. Pretty soon after, the torpedoes sounded like a bad idea. I tried to go to sleep, but ended up puking a few times in the toilet. Another friend enjoyed some barfing too and from what I heard a couple other people had interesting behavior.

That was over 6 years ago and I haven't drank cider since then.

As far as beers go, I'm pretty much open to any style except BMC.

So lately I have been trying just about every brand and style I can find locally. Most are decent, some are great, some are not for me.

What kind of beers have you found that you simply can not drink?
Like a lot of folks I do not care for BMC, but I have also found that I really do not care for the belgian witbiers I have had (blue moon, sam adams white ale...etc.) Something tells me there is a witbier out there I would enjoy, but I haven't found it yet.
What about your personal tastes?
Anything you can not bring yourself to drink? :mug:

For witbiers you should try Blanche de Brussels or Ommegang Witte. Although you might have your mind made up already. Have them without the fruit slice on the glass.

There is one beer down here I absolutely cannot stand: Lone Star

I don't like Guiness, witbeers, hefewizens (but I should try a few more before I say that), and any popular light beer tastes like water.

Other than that I am at least willing to try something I haven't had before, but prefer a darker lager like a bock or an ale like a brown or blonde type ale.

Doppelbock. Man. I've had a few I hated... I tried the Celebrator a couple weeks ago, thought it was awful and was pissed for paying > $3 for a single bottle of beer. Then went to see that it was in the top 100 on beeradvocate.... just must not be my style.

I also can't do belgian stuff like an abbey ale. I've fermented too many 1056 batches too high to actually enjoy that fruity taste.

I used to think I didnt like fruit beers but I recently had Pyramid's apricot ale and I change my mind. There are no styles of beer i dont like.

So lately I have been trying just about every brand and style I can find locally. Most are decent, some are great, some are not for me.

What kind of beers have you found that you simply can not drink?
Like a lot of folks I do not care for BMC, but I have also found that I really do not care for the belgian witbiers I have had (blue moon, sam adams white ale...etc.) Something tells me there is a witbier out there I would enjoy, but I haven't found it yet.
What about your personal tastes?
Anything you can not bring yourself to drink? :mug:

I don't care for most of the Belgian Witbiers you have listed either, but I just shared a sixer of hoegaarden the other night with a buddy who loves that beer. I do appreciate that beer a whole bunch!

I don't care for just about any fruit beer (where the fruit is the dominant flavor) like the cherry porters, etc with the exception of lambics. They are aweful fun to cook with though.

Other than that, I can't deal with the IPA's. It just seems to me like its a never ending dare contest with these things.

I'm not a fan of American wheat's (but love Belgian Wits and German Weizens for those not feeling the love for wheat beers :) ). They're just...boring.

I do not enjoy overly sweet beers (like some Scotchales , barleywines, and some bocks).

I can't stand straight geuze (even though one of my favorite styles of all times is fruit lambics) .

IPAs... really??? I'd like to swallow without my throat burning and my mouth puckering, thank you!

Having said all of that, nobody will ever offer me a beer that I won't try. I'd love to one day, enjoy every style. That won't happen if I refuse to drink them all - except Bud, Bud Lite, Miller, Coors... Those are perfectly acceptable to ignore!

Interesting.

Do you prefer the ale Baltic Porters to the lager ones?

WOW Remmy...and once again your ONLY contribution to a thread is being obnoxious and trollish about another member's answer...Seems your stock and trade around here....No wonder no one likes you (I try to cut you some slack, figuring you're a lonely heart sad sack, but some of the names other's have for you is down mean.....)

I can see why they think that way about you, I mean, Not bothering to share what you don't like, EXCEPT another person's answer....But to everything "Troll Troll Troll," I guess eh Remmy? :rolleyes:

Some people's ONLY experience to lagers initially are of the BMC variety, and haven't yet come around to trying some of the amazing non Bohemian varieties....I've been drinking Micro/craft brews for probably a lot longer than you, and I'm only now discovering the wonderful world of other Lagers...

Especially Vienna's and Maibocks, and Swartzbiers....anything other than the fizzy yellow kind, though after brewing some of my own this winter I've actually come up with some BMC-esque beers that are full bodied and complex, as any good beer should be...

And it took be a couple decades to get there, someday he might stumble upon a bottle of a vienna or a bottle of Rogue Dead Guy, and discover the DGA is an Ale version of a Maibock, and he might decide to investigate Maibocks for himself and re-evaluate his generalized ideas about Lagers...

But not because of any help from you....

:mug:

Too many "I don't like wheat beers" here, damnit! I had my first Dunkelweizen this last year (Franziskaner , hell-yeah!) and I have been obsessively brewing beers with WY-3068 ever since.
I love some IPA's but I hate others.....the IPA's that just taste like hop-juice are horrid, but I had an IIPA at a local brew-pub, 1.090 and 125IBU, that was just awesome. You could literally feel the hop resin on your lips and a nice light spice in the back of your throat (not to mention it put me the **** to sleep, night cap beer anyone?), but it still managed a great balance. It was excellent.

I hate Paulaner Salvator. Cloying sweetness with burnt grass/mint overtones...I dumped it.

Most all lagers of any kind. To me, they have an aftertaste that I just cant get past anymore. Sometimes I can do a good micro/craft, or home-brewed pils, but that is rare. The last time I had a lager I enjoyed was ~3 years ago. And I use "enjoyed" loosely.

Wheats and fruits, you can keep them. I keep an open mind on anything else. I just had a $5 bottle of Delirium Tremens I found at a liquor store. I didn't care for it. It had a champaign taste to me, but swmbo swilled it like a dehydrated desert rat.:D

I haven't found a style I don't like, just some styles not very well executed. Like some bock's that are just waaaay too sweet.

Sweetness in general is the key thing. In addition to barleywines, there are some imperial IPAs I dislike because they are SO cloying it's undrinkable. I don't drink a lot of Old Ales and Scottish Wee Heavies for the same reason (although neither have to be QUITE as dominantly sweet as some people make them). Had someone's weizenbock that was like drinking beer candy (not in a good way).

Attenuation is your friend, my friends! Even big beers, like dopplebocks and Imperial IPAs and old ales, make them drinkable!

I'll drink (2) HOT 30pks of mixed Coors, Miller, Bud before I'll ever attempt to drink another Lindemans Geuze Cuvee Renee'.

I even tried sugaring it as is suggested the locals do, but blech!

And I like sours.

Now that is the only Lindemann's I can drink, and I like it very much. The rest of the Lindemann's "Lambics" are overly sweetened and have an artificial fruit taste. Kind of like a koolaid gone bad.

I can't stand American Lite lagers or the afore mentioned Lindemann's. Don't care for Blondes or wheats. I havn't liked most fruit beers and used to think it was just wrong to fruit beer, but recently I have experienced some very good fruit beers. The first was a blueberry amber ale from Willoughby Brewing Company (local brewpub), which was quite good. Another one was a raspberry russian imperial stout from BrewPastor. That beer was incredible.

Now i plan on making a fruit myself.

Craig

Too many "I don't like wheat beers" here, damnit! I had my first Dunkelweizen this last year (Franziskaner , hell-yeah!) and I have been obsessively brewing beers with WY-3068 ever since.
I love some IPA's but I hate others.....the IPA's that just taste like hop-juice are horrid, but I had an IIPA at a local brew-pub, 1.090 and 125IBU, that was just awesome. You could literally feel the hop resin on your lips and a nice light spice in the back of your throat (not to mention it put me the **** to sleep, night cap beer anyone?), but it still managed a great balance. It was excellent.

I hate Paulaner Salvator. Cloying sweetness with burnt grass/mint overtones...I dumped it.

I doubt many of the "I don't like Wheat beers" crowd is referring to Dunkelweizen or WeizenBock, including myself. Those are not my favorite styles but they are good. However they taste very little like a Hefe and almost nothing like the common American Wheat.

Craig

I'm not a fan of really big malty beers I enjoy them on a rare occasion when I'm in the mood for one but I don't really get the urge to have one very often. Case and point: I have about 30 bottles of barley wine left that I brewed in early 2006 (It still keeps getting better by the way).

I mainly brew and drink session ales: wheats, wits, milds, bitters, ambers. I also really enjoy a nice IPA and the occasional IIPA. And I'll admit it - I really enjoy my blackberry wheat (made with real berries) on a hot summer day.

I have also found that I really do not care for the belgian witbiers I have had (blue moon, sam adams white ale...etc.) Something tells me there is a witbier out there I would enjoy, but I haven't found it yet.

Blanche de Bruxelles or St. Bernardus Wit. Can you get either of those? Those are the best two commercial ones I have had so far though I'm biased, my favorite Wit is the recipe in my dropdown. ;)

I haven't met a beer I couldn't drink yet, though I will say American Amber ales are my least favorite style... A waste of perfectly good wort which could be turned into a wonderful Belgian Pale Ale simply by using a different yeast strain!

The only beer I've ever had to choke down was Rogue's Chipotle ale. Ugh. I had a homebrew made with I think jalapenos later that was much more balanced... there was just no beer flavor in the chipotle.

Some people's ONLY experience to lagers initially are of the BMC variety, and haven't yet come around to trying some of the amazing non Bohemian varieties....I've been drinking Micro/craft brews for probably a lot longer than you, and I'm only now discovering the wonderful world of other Lagers...

Speaking of dark lagers, have you had Shiner Black? I love that stuff... definitely in my top five favorite beers. It's a Schwartzbier. After I discovered it I set about trying trying to find a suitable recipe to brew as an ale or hybrid lager/ale to rotate on tap with my smoked porter. My last batch of AHS Black Ale is already 2/3 gone a month after I started on it (that was after three months of conditioning). It's like a schwartz but has a little too much roasty character to be as swillable.

The only beer I've ever had to choke down was Rogue's Chipotle ale. Ugh. I had a homebrew made with I think jalapenos later that was much more balanced... there was just no beer flavor in the chipotle.

Fruit beers, hoppy beers, strongly malty beers, and pepper beers. In all of them balance is the key... and I have had more bad examples than good... but that doesn't mean there is something wrong with the style itself. Just the brewer!

Back