What size filter do I need?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewScout

Reaction score
Want to start filtering my beer on the way to bottling bucket. What is the size I should use and still be able to leave yeast in suspension?

from my understanding any particles that are light enough to for a haze after the yeast has settled out are going to be smaller/lighter than yeast. So I am not sure what good a filter would do beside remove larger hop/cold break particles, and those should have settled out by the time you are bottling.
you could use cheese cloth or something, but i would suggest cold crashing/ fining agents over filtering if you are going to bottle condition the beer.

+1 to cold crashing or fining agents (or both) and some patience.

And chickens4life is right.... haze proteins are much smaller than yeast.

If you cold crash for 24 hours or so and then add gelatin (dissolved in hot water, NOT BOILING, and let sit to "bloom" for 30 minutes) it will drop stuff out like crazy just overnight.

However it will definitely have enough yeast. Even when beer sits for long enough and looks crystal clear there's still a ton of yeast in suspension. It's just not in visible concentrations.

+1 to cold crashing or fining agents (or both) and some patience.

And chickens4life is right.... haze proteins are much smaller than yeast.

+1 to both Reno and chicken, and I'm a bit of a germ-a-phobe to much surface are for me. I use gelatin and cold crash.

Can someone please explain the process of using gelatin.

Get a box of unflavored gelatin, bring a cut or two of water to about 150-170 degrees pour in one envelope of gelatin and stir until dissolved. Let it sit for 30-60 seconds then pour into your telling bucket and refrigerate for 12-48 hrs. If possible do not move after settled and bottle out of your bucket in the refrigerator. If you have to move it bet gentle and let it settle for an hour or so.

If you keg and force carbonate put bloomed gelatin in bottom of keg. Rack beer on top of gelatin. Then follow your regular procedure, after carbed and it has settled pull off a pint or two until clear. Then enjoy crystal clear beer.

This is what it looks like.

Knox Gelatine.jpg

Latest posts

Back