What size cooler for gylcol reservoir

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought a used AC unit and started to open it up.
I dont really need a large cooler for this thing.

I am thinking of cutting the bottom steel in order to bring the cooling portion directly into the cooler.

Need to think how to wire this thing. I would prefer to bypass all controlls and use a control unit.

With respect to the image in that post: when the evaporator is completely frosted over like that it means that it is full of refrigerant. That's because not enough heat to boil it all has been supplied (as would normally be when the thing is shrouded up and the fan is blowing warm air over it). The problem here is that your compressor won't last long if you are slugging it with liquid refrigerant. If you are going to run it in the open like this get some load on it such as a fan close by blowing room air over it.

Also pay attention so that it does not frost in the glycol bath. It needs to be completely submerged. I ended up having to make a "manifold" that split my recirculated water return to more evenly flow through the evaporator and keep the entire thing near a constant temperature.

Any suggestions on what size pond pump to get. I am thinking bigger is better to keep the water moving in the cooler.

Also suggestions on a quick release fittings for the cooling hoses.

Back