What should my first AG brew be?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grrickar

Reaction score
I have only been doing extract and partial grain brews, and anxious to try my hand at an AG brew, but which recipe? For my first, I was thinking of an IPA...good choice for a first time AG brew?

Thinking something like Lagunitas Maximus or Bells Two Hearted perhaps? Suggestions?

I love IPAs, ESBs and Hefes. I really like stouts too but have been drinking them so much lately I think a change would be nice.

I've only done 2 AG brews so far. My first was an Irish Red. Pretty simple and it turned out ok. My second was a Drake's IPA clone at Thanksgiving. I just bottled it a couple days ago. It was easy as well. Definitely do a stye you like. Since you already have experience, you'll do well, I'm sure. Makes for a fun day!

IPA is good. Simple ingredients - 2-row and a little C-20 mashed at 152 gives you a little wiggle room if you miss your mash temp by a degree or two. I would recommend FWH with your main bittering hops and then some late addition hops (15 - 5 min range) then a hop stand then dry hop. Simple, tasty and lets you start to dial in your new process.

If it is your first AG batch, I would recommend a beer that is relatively low gravity without too many hops. The only reason I say this is that if something does go wrong and the beer does not turn out, you are not out a ton of money for ingredients for a complex beer. Do a few simple, low cost batches first until you get your system and techniques dialed in and then start making the more expensive and complex brews.

I totally agree. Remember that you can hide a lot of mistakes behind dark malts and hops.
Try brewing a light ale. When we were having some issues with "funk" we brewed what I called Michelob Ale. It was two row with ten percent 20L crystal and 17 IBU's. We used 1056 yeast. It was a great Summer beer and since we split it between a glass carboy and a plastic conical I was able to show my partner that the conical was not getting cleaned properly. After he tasted the carboy beer and then the conical beer his reply was Hmmmm, now I get it!

If you can brew a light beer without any issues then you can call yourself a BREWER!:D

I have only been doing extract and partial grain brews, and anxious to try my hand at an AG brew, but which recipe? For my first, I was thinking of an IPA...good choice for a first time AG brew?

Thinking something like Lagunitas Maximus or Bells Two Hearted perhaps? Suggestions?

I love IPAs, ESBs and Hefes. I really like stouts too but have been drinking them so much lately I think a change would be nice.

dead ringer ipa from northern brewer was my first ag and it came out amazing

Yes, do an IPA! That is what I did for my first AG batch (this one: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f69/dogfish-head-60-minute-clone-ag-extract-25709/) and it's still one of my favorite beers- I brewed it again today, actually!

Those are all great IPAs in your original post.

If you aren't comfortable creating your own recipes I would suggest DeadRinger by Northern Brewer. It is a pretty solid kit and tastes a lot like Two Hearted.

I plan to do a Two Hearted Clone based on the recipe found on this site. I drank no less than 5 out of a sixxer tonight **hic** to harvest the dregs for yeast. :cross:

I would say do a couple of smash brews, meaning single malt single hop. It gives you great perspective on what ingredients do to a recipe. I had a lot of trouble making my own recipes until I did smashes. I now make up almost every recipe from scratch, and make great beer, at least my friends think so. Go with something simple, 10 pounds marris otter and 3-5 oz cascade, or centennial. Then use a clean fermenting yeast like us-05. Then you can start adding specialty malts to the same recipes and come up with totally different beer. Sometimes simple is best, some of the best beer I have made have been 6 ingredients or less including type of yeast and hops. Go with styles you like, master them, then move to the next style. Good luck in which ever direction you take.

If it is your first AG batch, I would recommend a beer that is relatively low gravity without too many hops. The only reason I say this is that if something does go wrong and the beer does not turn out, you are not out a ton of money for ingredients for a complex beer. Do a few simple, low cost batches first until you get your system and techniques dialed in and then start making the more expensive and complex brews.

I couldn't agree more with @BrewerBrad82 . I did my first AG a week ago...very simple Pale Ale and it made my brew day that much easier. I missed my OG by .01 so it also gave me confidence going into the next brew!

Just my .02

That or pick your favorite hop and do a smash pale ale or IPA.... one grain, one hop..... they almost always turn out great in my opinion.

brew what you like! i can't answer that for you. there are lots of clone recipes out there to get you started if you have a "favorite" beer. try to brew something/a style that you are already familiar with. welcome to the club!

My choice would be a simple smash recipe using 10 lbs. 2 row and 2 oz. cascade hops.
5 gallon batch
152 deg for 1 hour.
1oz. hops at 60
.5 oz. hops at 15
.5 in primary.

Ferment cool using US-05, bottle when done and drink in 2 weeks.
This will get you hooked on allgrain and willing to get more complex.

My first AG batch was Edworts Haus Pale Ale. Just type it in your browser and you'll find the recipe. There is even step by step instructions for temp and sparge volumes making your first AG about as easy as it can be. Very simple grain bill, simple hop additions, is done quickly, and makes a great beer. Good luck on your first AG batch!!

Back