What should I do with these

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoCalBrewing

Reaction score
I know Im a low brewtime n00b, but I have already had the unfortunate experience of blowing up a glass carboy. It was a few years back, but I remember it like yesterday. I cleaned a carboy with hot water to help with killing the bacteria. Then I went to fill it with the water needed in addition to my partial boil, and pop goes the weasel. Luckily I had a plastic bucket on hand and I fermented with that.

Now, I have seen the picture of Edworts Apfelwiezen, and obvioiusly he uses the Better Bottles. I have also seen several other users that recommend using them, and all of them are big time brewers.

So to get to the point I went ahead and bought 2*6 gallon, and 4*5 gallon Better Bottle carboys. I wanted consistency, and I knew I needed at least one more of each.

Now currently I have 1*5 gallon, and 1*6.5 gallon glass carboys. Im not gonna have room for all this stuff in my 1 bedroom apartment, so I want to rid myself of the glass units. Granted my new Better Bottles stuff wont be here for probably a week, but what do you guys recommend I do with my old stuff. CL maybe? Id hate to just trash it since they cost a good $25 each.

I don't see how you could go wrong using Craigslist. You should be able to get more than just trashing them and Craiglist is free.

SoCalBrewing said:
Granted my new Better Bottles stuff wont be here for probably a week, but what do you guys recommend I do with my old stuff. CL maybe? Id hate to just trash it since they cost a good $25 each.

If you get stuck with having to throw 'em away let me know and I'll send you a shipping address to the salvation army for brewing equipment :D

Craigslist. There are plenty of homebrewers that will only use glass (if you haven't noticed).

I sold all of mine before upgrading to Better Bottles. I advertised my 5 gallon (all 4 of them) carboys to my local home brew club for $18 and they were gone in a day.

SoCalBrewing said:
Now currently I have 1*5 gallon, and 1*6.5 gallon glass carboys. Im not gonna have room for all this stuff in my 1 bedroom apartment, so I want to rid myself of the glass units. Granted my new Better Bottles stuff wont be here for probably a week, but what do you guys recommend I do with my old stuff. CL maybe? Id hate to just trash it...
Before you consider trashing them, give this fellow SoCal-brewer a shout with your asking price. I'm fond of glass, and could certainly use another carboy or two.

Latest posts

Back