What should i add to test batch DIPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RUNningonbrew

Reaction score
So I made a hopslam clone this weekend, ended up with an extra gallon that I decided to ferment in a separate gallon jug, I used a different yeast, London ale. I want to do something different for this one, any ideas? Thinking oak chips, cedar planks? any ideas are welcome. Og is 1.092 going to be around 9.5%

A brewer recently had a DIPA where he added 1 litre of fresh squeezed grapefruit juice per 1 hectolitre of beer. It was a very "citrus" forward hopped IPA and no idea what yeast strain was used.

That comes in at 1% Grapefruit juice so, for a 5 gallon batch, that's 6.4 ounces of grapefruit juice. It gets a slight juicyness but nothing overwhelming.

Maple or Cedar planks could be interesting but they work pretty slow and an IPA is best consumed fresh.

If you add oak chips (not cubes) now, you'll get some flavor pretty quickly. If that yeast is WLP013/WY1028, it's already adding some oaky flavors, so you could just leave it alone and see what the yeast contributes.

Sounds good, I'm going to let it sit in oak chips for a month, then us maple syrup to prime

Latest posts

Back