What sets the best breweries in the world apart?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris-18

Reaction score
Hey all

So I might soon be lucky enough to get a job at one of the best danish breweries, and during the process of getting the job, I was wondering what sets the best breweries in the world apart from the rest?

By this I mean, why are they the best?
I am talking about your Hill Farmsteads, Russian River, Cigar City etc.

For me it doesn't seem like the beers are the critical component. What I mean by that, is that especially breweries like Trillium make great beers, but IMHO they are consistently beaten by other breweries, like Lervig and others.
So it's not always making the best beer in the world, because it doesn't seem to be a factor that is 100% determining.

But obviously, the beers are in general world class, but is it branding, rarity or what? And is it maybe hitting the right style of beer, at the right time?

I am curious to hear everyone's opinion, whether it be backed by facts or not, what do you think?:mug:

If you go by branding, marketing and sales. Anheuser-Busch is probably the number one brewery in the world. Of the other ones you mention?? I have not had a beer from any one of them.

The product has to be well received and consistent. Otherwise they will be a flash in the pan.

It is also subjective. If one group rated breweries they would have one set of criterion for making the rankings. Another group would have a different set and possibly have an entirely different list of best.

For instance. I always heard great things about Fat Tire and New Belgium brewery. The recently became available here. IMO the beers that I have tried are very average.

Breweries that (1) make very good beer, even if you bore of it after a couple years, and (2) embrace the micro brew community (other brewers and the beer loving customers). The ones you cited, HF, RR, etc are good examples.

Back