what results of too many hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robdogj

Reaction score
Just a silly question. I was making a German Pils & I accidently added 1 oz of Magnum hops instead of .5 oz that the recipe asked for. What kind of result can I expect? Bitter beer?

This depends greatly on when they were added and the over all malt bill.

For the 60 minute boil or for one of the later hop additions? If you added 1 oz instead of 0.5 oz, you should get more IBUs (more bitterness).

My guess would be that 0.5 oz of Magnum at 60 minutes would get you around 15 to 17 IBUs, while 1 oz of Magnum at 60 minutes would get you around 30 to 35 IBUs. So, yeah, more bitter. (This guess is based on a lot of assumptions about your Pilsner). Depending on your fermentables, 1 oz could get you anywhere from 20 IBUs to 60 IBUs, really.

If it's an aroma or flavor addition, you'll get a higher IBU, yes, but you'll also get more hop aroma and/or flavor.

For the 60 minute boil or for one of the later hop additions? If you added 1 oz instead of 0.5 oz, you should get more IBUs (more bitterness).

Oh I forgot to say I added it at the 60 minute boil. so basically I created a hop bomb....I guess we will see how this goes.

messiah & worlddivides thanks for your input
thumbup.gif

Oh I forgot to say I added it at the 60 minute boil. so basically I created a hop bomb....I guess we will see how this goes.

messiah & worlddivides

Can you give your full recipe? Then we'll be able to estimate how bitter it will be.

When I think of "hop bomb," I think of a beer with a lot of hop flavor, but the 60 minute addition should mostly be bitterness and not really that much hop "flavor."

It's also very relative. I just made a beer last night with 1 ounce of bittering hops for an IBU of around 7-10 IBUs.

If your recipe was supposed to be 16 IBUs but you actually got 32 IBUs, that wouldn't necessarily be out of style. There are traditional lagers that are at 30 or 35 IBUs in addition to the ones at 10 or 15 IBUs. You most likely aren't anywhere near IPL territory.

Can you give your full recipe? Then we'll be able to estimate how bitter it will be.

Bitburger Pils Clone (All Grain)

Ingredients:
Malts:
9.0 lb German Pilsner Malt 1L - 1.035
4 oz CaraPils Dextrine Malt 1L - 1.035
4 oz Light Munich Malt 8L - 1.033

Hops:
Bittering Hop @ 60 Minutes 1/2 oz Magnum Pellet 14% AA - 34 IBUs
Flavor Hops @ 10 Minutes
1/2 oz Perle Pellet 7.8% AA - 4 IBUs
1/4 oz Hellertauer Pellet 4% AA - 1 IBU
****0.15 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10 min)
Aroma Hops @ 5 Minutes 1/4 oz Tettnanger Pellet 4.5% AA - 1 IBU

Yeast:
Any German style Lager strain of yeast would be good

Yeah, judging from that recipe, the change of your bittering hops from 0.5 ounces to 1 ounce should just about double the bitterness. My guess would be that following the recipe should get you around 38 or 39 IBUs, while doubling the bittering Magnum should get you between 66 and 70 IBUs.

It'll probably be quite a bit more bitter than you expected, but it could still taste good.

I had some luck aging out some excess bitterness from a beer that I made by pitching orval dregs and giving some time at 70f +. I guess the Brett chews through some of the hop compounds while it produces it's characteristic fruity/funkyness. If you don't like the barnyard flavor too much then it is just a timing thing to drink it or chill it before it gets too funky. Definitely don't dump it though.

since fermentation has started, I guess we will find out in two weeks. I give the taste test to some friends of mine & I will let you know.

bottled the beer last week & today I tried one - all I could taste were hops - I guess I need to pound a rack out quickly & brew another batch - thanks everyone for the info & I will pay more attention to my hops - I am thinking the next time I brew a pils to keep it real simple - Single Malt & Single Hop

bottled the beer last week & today I tried one - all I could taste were hops - I guess I need to pound a rack out quickly & brew another batch - thanks everyone for the info & I will pay more attention to my hops - I am thinking the next time I brew a pils to keep it real simple - Single Malt & Single Hop

Interesting - since the extra bittering hops really shouldn't contribute to a hop flavor. The Aroma hops added were somewhat weak.

Just a silly question. I was making a German Pils & I accidently added 1 oz of Magnum hops instead of .5 oz that the recipe asked for. What kind of result can I expect? Bitter beer?

In this situation, i would suspect a better beer. Yes more bitter, but you didnt ruin it.

I tried 14 oz of hops (mostly Azacca and Citra) in a 1 gallon batch and it tasted like sope...

Never again

Latest posts

Back