What recipe for split batch to try different yeasts?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

petrolSpice

Reaction score
For my next BIAB I want to brew a double batch, 10-11 gallons, and then split it into two fermenters. I would then like to try two different yeasts, one in each fermenter. Both beers will ferment at the same temp and for the same time.

Since it's a double batch, I'd prefer a lighter beer like a pale ale, blonde, or wheat (I had my eye on this recipe but don't know if it will work well with different yeasts). The recipe also needs to allow the yeast differences to be apparent.

Then I need to choose the yeast, obviously.

Any suggestions would be welcome! :mug:

I would try IPA with regular ale yeast (say WLP-001 of superyeast) and Belgian yeast.

Similar to CaliBelgique beer by stone. Maybe wheat ale with California ale (American wheat), Hefeweizen yeast and maybe Kolsch yeast?

I like the idea of splitting the wheat beer recipe into 2 batches... However, I would replace the honey malt with something less strong .. maybe a Crystal 10L or 15L... just my taste. (and add 1# rice hulls too!)

A clean American yeast like US-05/WLP001 for one, and perhaps a good German weizen yeast ... I like WLP351 .. less banana, more clove. Both would ferment well at 66-F.

Alternatively, if you are looking for something more subtle .. but delicious, try a Blonde Ale with WLP001 and the Kolsch yeast (WLP029). You'd really notice the difference between the 2 yeasts.

Good luck!
--LexusChris

what is your goal here? is it to find the best strain for a recipe? just to see how different strains could be?

what is your goal here? is it to find the best strain for a recipe? just to see how different strains could be?

That was my question too. Do you already have 2 yeast strains in mind that you want to compare? If so that would direct the recommendation of recipe. Are you looking for subtle differences, maybe trying to find a house yeast? Or looking to choose 2 very different yeasts just to experiment? You could do a wheat recipe split between American and German hefeweizen yeast - that would be really different. Or as mentioned above something with a neutral and a Belgian yeast.

That was my question too. Do you already have 2 yeast strains in mind that you want to compare? If so that would direct the recommendation of recipe. Are you looking for subtle differences, maybe trying to find a house yeast? Or looking to choose 2 very different yeasts just to experiment? You could do a wheat recipe split between American and German hefeweizen yeast - that would be really different. Or as mentioned above something with a neutral and a Belgian yeast.

I've brewed around a dozen batches so far, and all have been completely different; different grains/extract, hops, yeast, temps, etc. So there was little opportunity to taste the differences that yeast can create.

Now that I am splitting up a single brew into 2 fermenters, its a great opportunity to try 2 different yeasts. Then I can drink the beers side by side and appreciate the flavors that yeast provide.

I use WLP001 the most, so that might be a good one. I like the idea of brewing the wheat beer I posted above and using WLP001/US-05 and a German Hef yeast.

Ideally the flavor differences between the yeast will be obvious, so selecting two wildly different yeasts is a good thing (as long as the result is still delicious). This way I can also demonstrate the differences to non-beer enthusiasts as well.

Those two yeasts should be radically different. You may want to consider using a more subdued hop like something noble to really highlight the differences and so as not to clash with the German yeast. Up to you though, that recipe is not over the top with the mosaic but it is a distinctive hop.

I've brewed around a dozen batches so far, and all have been completely different; different grains/extract, hops, yeast, temps, etc. So there was little opportunity to taste the differences that yeast can create.

Now that I am splitting up a single brew into 2 fermenters, its a great opportunity to try 2 different yeasts. Then I can drink the beers side by side and appreciate the flavors that yeast provide.

I use WLP001 the most, so that might be a good one. I like the idea of brewing the wheat beer I posted above and using WLP001/US-05 and a German Hef yeast.

Ideally the flavor differences between the yeast will be obvious, so selecting two wildly different yeasts is a good thing (as long as the result is still delicious). This way I can also demonstrate the differences to non-beer enthusiasts as well.

I've only been brewing a year and a half, but I if I were you I would go with a very neutral strain (001) and then something a little crazy. Obviously, WLP300 and the Belgian strains would be good choices here. That's a very interesting recipe to me. I would give the cal ale and hefe yeast a shot. I am very partial to hefe though, so all bias disclosed.

Whatever yeast, I would use a recipe that is pretty mild. An american pale ale for instance. Use a pretty light flavored hop. Both of these things so that the difference of the yeast does not get overpowered by the flavor of the malts and/or hops.

I second kh54s10, go with something simple on the grain and hop end so you can really highlight the yeast differences. Mostly 2-row, maybe 5% or so light specialty grains, bittering charge at FWH or 60 mins and a small addition at 5-10 mins of a hop that won't steal the show - a noble hop like Hallertauer would probably do well in this case, for instance.

Good suggestions everyone, thanks!

How about this recipe from EdWort: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=31793

Pale ale with simple grain bill and single hop.

For yeast, the recipe suggests Notty, so that will be one of the yeasts unless the LHBS doesn't have it in which case I'll use US-05. What should the other yeast be? Prefer dry to keep it simple, and something fairly different. US-04, T-58?

If you have the means to keep them both at different temps, my vote is T-58. Notty is pretty clean at cool temps (like 58F kind of cool) while T-58 can be a full 10 degrees warmer (or, after peak krausen, even higher) and throw some nice flavors.

Here's what I did last winter and it was awesome: Simple pilsner. Do 5 gallons with 1214 or any Trappist yeast for a patersbier, do 5 gallons with 34/70 lager yeast. It's astonishing how different the two beers are.

If you don't have the ability to lager, try a wheat with hefeweizen yeast and half with American Ale yeast or with Bell's house yeast if you can get it for an Oberon-like beer.

I'm doing a saison/belgian pale this weekend.

pilsner
wheat
flaked oats
rye

hopped to about 40 IBU

3711/3522

Good suggestions everyone, thanks!

How about this recipe from EdWort: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=31793

Pale ale with simple grain bill and single hop.

For yeast, the recipe suggests Notty, so that will be one of the yeasts unless the LHBS doesn't have it in which case I'll use US-05. What should the other yeast be? Prefer dry to keep it simple, and something fairly different. US-04, T-58?

belle saison would be interesting and give you 2 totally different beers.

I'd stick with that wheat recipe you posted originally, and use WLP001 in one of them and use onf of the hef strains (WLP 300, WLP320, or WLP380). My suggestion would be WLP320. I've done a very similar test with split fermentation, and I really liked the WLP320.

I would replace the honey malt with something less strong .. maybe a Crystal 10L or 15L... just my taste. (and add 1# rice hulls too!)

I disagree with removing the honey malt. It will be a very nice flavor in that recipe. BUT, adding rice hulls is a must, IMO, with this recipe.

I'd stick with that wheat recipe you posted originally, and use WLP001 in one of them and use onf of the hef strains (WLP 300, WLP320, or WLP380). My suggestion would be WLP320. I've done a very similar test with split fermentation, and I really liked the WLP320.

I disagree with removing the honey malt. It will be a very nice flavor in that recipe. BUT, adding rice hulls is a must, IMO, with this recipe.

I do love wheat beer, hence why I posted that recipe originally. Is there a dry yeast equivalent of WLP320? I typically use liquid yeasts but making 2 starters in advance might be a bit much. Could work out though, I do want to harvest some WLP001 for future brews.

I may cut back on the Honey Malt, 11% of the grain bill seems like a lot? And add 1lb of rice hulls (1/2lb per 5 gallons).

I may cut back on the Honey Malt, 11% of the grain bill seems like a lot? And add 1lb of rice hulls (1/2lb per 5 gallons).

I'd up the 2-Row to 5#, and cut the Honey malt to 0.75# personally. Add 1# of rice hulls.

As far as the starter, WLP001 may not need it, so if you can only do one at a time, go ahead and do the WLP320 and just pitch the WLP001 vial as-is.

You could also make one of the starters in advance and just store it in the fridge, depending on how long it is before you want to brew. If it's tomorrow, we're probably too late.

Put more than around 8oz of honey malt in a 5gal batch and prepare for dissapointment

I usually do 4oz but I have 6oz in my honey based pale ale which has honey malt and actual honey. Its powerful stuff

I usually do 4oz but I have 6oz in my honey based pale ale which has honey malt and actual honey. Its powerful stuff

Actual honey, in my experience, doesn't lend to honey flavor, but does add aroma. Honey malt will give you that honey flavor, so I suppose it's up to you to add however much honey flavor you want. 0.75# will be pretty apparent, so if you want it a bit less honey-esque, dial it back some. I'm a bit heavy-handed on the honey malt because I really want that honey flavor to come through with the wheatiness, and with a very citrus hop bill, you kind of counterbalance that honey sweetness.

Just my $0.02.

wheat base. wlp351 vs wlp300 hefe/Bavarian or 300vs320 hefe vs american-hefe
65 Red Wheat, 30 2-row, 5 flaked wheat
pale base with cara - wlp670 vs wlp566
90 M.O./10 Cara-whatever sounds good
Belgian blonde - wlp510 vs wlp515 vs wlp570
60 Belgian Pale, 35 Pils, 5 caraVienna
APA - wlp029 vs wlp051 (kolsch clean ale vs cali clean ale, both are slightly fruity IMO)
60 Pils, 35 2-row, 5 c20
100% base brew - wlp001 vs wlp029 vs wlp007 vs wyeast 1007 vs wlp013 vs wyeast 1968 vs wyeast 1450
really with 100% base you can try ANYTHING with a different yeast. Doesn't matter if you take GP or MO or Pils and throw a Bavarian wheat on it, it wont be something you brew again, but you will find your answer on do I like this yeast or do I want to set this yeast on fire for the fun of it... 3278 wlp653

what every you do keep it simple so you can easily identify the yeast differences. easy on the hops single addition bitterness only, easy on the grist, easy on the brewing salts. Also, Idk if I would get 10 gallons towards an xbmt, you could always mess around with a single 5 gallon batch, split in 2 fermenters and pitch that way. Nothing like having 48ish beer bottles filled with something you hate.

Back