What recipe can I use these LMEs in?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trainfever

Reaction score
I have two containers of Briess LME. One is a Traditional Dark and the other is Sparkling Amber. I wanted to use these up but dont know of any recipe that would utilize both of them. Does anyone know of a good recipe that contains both of these?

I'm not a fan of LME because it's always too dark for the style you want to brew. I would use either/both of them in a darker beer of your choice. ;)

What part of Philly are you from? I'm originally from Camden, but lived there and have relatives on 2 St in So Philly. Went to school there also for a couple of years. :mug:

i'd just find a good looking porter or stout recipe that calls for dark extract. 1/2 dark and 1/2 amber will come out a little lighter, but should still taste good i'd think.

I'm not a fan of LME because it's always too dark for the style you want to brew. I would use either/both of them in a darker beer of your choice. ;)
Thats the problem, I dont which are dark beers and which arent. I was hoping someone knew a recipe that utilizes both of these LMEs or at least a name of a beer that I could look up a recipe.

What part of Philly are you from? I'm originally from Camden, but lived there and have relatives on 2 St in So Philly. Went to school there also for a couple of years. :mug:

I grew up in Kensington and then moved to the northeast where I live today.

I only have a half ounce of Cascade and half ounce of Willamet hopps. I can easily pick up more ingredients. I just want to use up these containers because they have been sitting around. I was just trying to find something that had both these LMEs in it.

Assuming (2) 3.3lb containers of LME
You could easily do a brown porter with some steeping grains:
1/2lb Roasted Barley
1/2 lb Crystal 120
1/5 lb CaraPils
Put those in a mesh bag in the pot of water and let it heat to about 155F try to keep it there for 15min. Remove the bag and let it After you hit boil and after the break, add 1oz of approximately 8.0% AA english hops (Brewer's Gold or Challenger maybe) and start 60 min timer.
Add your 1/2 oz willamettes (assumed 5.5%AA) in at 15 min and the dark LME stir to avoid scortching.
based on a quick Beersmith calc:
Boil volume 3gal
OG 1.048
IBU 29-25
Color 25
ABV 4.6%

Pitch an english sytle yeast if available WLP002, or Wyeast 1968, or SafAle-04

Assuming (2) 3.3lb containers of LME
You could easily do a brown porter with some steeping grains:
1/2lb Roasted Barley
1/2 lb Crystal 120
1/5 lb CaraPils
Put those in a mesh bag in the pot of water and let it heat to about 155F try to keep it there for 15min. Remove the bag and let it After you hit boil and after the break, add 1oz of approximately 8.0% AA english hops (Brewer's Gold or Challenger maybe) and start 60 min timer.
Add your 1/2 oz willamettes (assumed 5.5%AA) in at 15 min and the dark LME stir to avoid scortching.
based on a quick Beersmith calc:
Boil volume 3gal
OG 1.048
IBU 29-25
Color 25
ABV 4.6%

Pitch an english sytle yeast if available WLP002, or Wyeast 1968, or SafAle-04

Yes both containers are 3.3 pounds. I have no problem using steeping grains, I use them all the time with my Belgian Wit. Anyway, if I read your recipe correctly, it is only a 3 gallon recipe and it only uses the dark lme? I was trying to find a recipe that uses both. I found recipes that uses one or the other but not both.

I assumed you were an extract partial boiler and I neglected to mention that the the final volume is topped up to 5gal.
The quickie recipe called for the amber in first and add the dark during the last 15min so you could get the most from your hops.
If you do full boils I can re-calc to account for the better hops utilization.

I was/am an extract brewer. I just started doing full boils with my turkey fryer. Sometimes I still do partial boils and then just topoff. I misunderstood your recipe because the amber LME was not listed in it.

On a side not, what exatly is the break? I hear the terms flameout and coldbreak but not ue what they are. Im assuming that flameout is when you turn the propane/heat off? what is cold break?

Sorry about that I must have accidentally edited it out.
I usually but 1/2 my extracts in an the beginning and the other half in during the last 15 min.
If you want to do a full boil crank the first hops addition down to 3/4oz vs the 1 oz that will still get you to the 32IBU range.

Latest posts

Back