What PMV do I need to control the speed of my pump?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeirKaiser

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I was recommend to this category

I received bought a pump for my homebrew setup. How does everyone control the speed of the pump? I’ve found so few mini chips with knobs but no idea what to pick.
Stats:
  • Name: Solar Water pump
  • Brushless motor
  • Material: Plastic
  • Color: Black
  • Input/Output: 1/2 "male thead
  • Voltage: 12 V DC
  • Nominal Maximum Current: 1000MA
  • Power: 22 W
  • Max Flow: 800 L/H
  • Max Water Seat: 5 m
  • Max circulation water temperature: 100 ° C

It only has a motor +/- and power +/-, no third wire. Or a brake. No idea what I’m doing View attachment 715452View attachment 715453View attachment 715454View attachment 715455

You should be able to control DC motor speed by adjusting voltage. The most common way to do that is Pulse Width Modulation (PWM). If all you're trying to do is manually adjust the speed with a knob or something, you should be able to find something purpose made for fairly cheap for that. Just search for a PWM motor speed controller. You could possibly use a properly rated potentiometer as a voltage divider, like how older style analog light dimmers work, but you'd be wasting power as heat. Brushless motors should work pretty seamlessly with PWM, brushed motors would benefit from a flyback diode and/or smoothing capacitor. A standalone speed control unit might include such protections, I'm not sure. If you're looking to use a microcontroller like Arduino, you could use a digital output pin to switch a transistor or solid state relay (don't use a mechanical relay for PWM).

You should be able to control DC motor speed by adjusting voltage. The most common way to do that is Pulse Width Modulation (PWM). If all you're trying to do is manually adjust the speed with a knob or something, you should be able to find something purpose made for fairly cheap for that. Just search for a PWM motor speed controller. You could possibly use a properly rated potentiometer as a voltage divider, like how older style analog light dimmers work, but you'd be wasting power as heat. Brushless motors should work pretty seamlessly with PWM, brushed motors would benefit from a flyback diode and/or smoothing capacitor. A standalone speed control unit might include such protections, I'm not sure. If you're looking to use a microcontroller like Arduino, you could use a digital output pin to switch a transistor or solid state relay (don't use a mechanical relay for PWM).
Thank you so much, This was the advice I was looking for. Best advice over several threads. I just need a manual knob, saw some with percentage displays. No Arduino, nothing fancy.
Like these?

Attachments

• 46757DE3-7859-4451-A827-B088130382F8.jpeg
    46757DE3-7859-4451-A827-B088130382F8.jpeg
    111.3 KB · Views: 19
  • 840442D7-386B-480A-8CBA-94874582E481.jpeg
    840442D7-386B-480A-8CBA-94874582E481.jpeg
    172.7 KB · Views: 17
  • DE7BF1DE-62AA-40CE-A465-3C4C6370157D.jpeg
    DE7BF1DE-62AA-40CE-A465-3C4C6370157D.jpeg
    159.2 KB · Views: 15
Yeah, just make sure the input and output match what you're using. It's hard to tell just from the pictures but I think the one on the left looks promising. The one on the right looks like it takes 240V AC input and the one in the middle... 3 phase AC input?

You have no idea how helpful this is, I’ve asked so many people. I definitely owe you some beer

I think the one on the left looks promising.

https://www.amazon.com/12V-40V-Cont...words=“brushless”+pwm&qid=1611378113&sr=8-253I was thinking this was the best

.The one on the right looks like it takes 240V AC input
https://www.amazon.com/Sensorless-C...controller+“brushless”&qid=1611376636&sr=8-12This requires no converter from outlet to ac to dc which would be kind of nice

The only issue with that particular one though is the max output is 24v, which would most likely blow out your 12v pump. And if you're in the US, note that it also takes 240V input, not 120. Not an issue for most other countries, though... I see you use metric units, so perhaps not an issue. Anyhow, yes, I believe that other one will work. I also found these ones, a few more options and reviews: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07H916YH...lja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ&th=1

The only issue with that particular one though is the max output is 24v, which would most likely blow out your 12v pump. And if you're in the US, note that it also takes 240V input, not 120. Not an issue for most other countries, though... I see you use metric units, so perhaps not an issue. Anyhow, yes, I believe that other one will work. I also found these ones, a few more options and reviews: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07H916YH...lja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ&th=1
US, you are right, shipped my mind. The one you posted looks great but it doesn’t say brushless on it
“Q:Can this controller suitable for brushless motors?

Answer this question
A: This is not a 3 phase controller that is need for brushless. Will not work.”

When I think 3 phase motor I think induction motors, which are AC. A quick search on the ol' google says apparently not necessarily the case, but the "3 phase brushless" controllers that I found have 3 phase output, and if your motor only has 2 wires in, I don't see how it can be 3 phase. You may have to ask a real engineer to explain, I'm just a lowly electronics technician.

When I think 3 phase motor I think induction motors, which are AC. A quick search on the ol' google says apparently not necessarily the case, but the "3 phase brushless" controllers that I found have 3 phase output, and if your motor only has 2 wires in, I don't see how it can be 3 phase. You may have to ask a real engineer to explain, I'm just a lowly electronics technician.

Still very helpful! Yeah won’t be able to use three phase.
https://www.amazon.com/12V-40V-Cont...words=“brushless”+pwm&qid=1611378113&sr=8-253This seems to be my best bet, it’s brushless and he only had motor +/- and power +/-, does not have three phases. Pretty sure V,W, and A are all fine

You can use the controller I gave you the link for in the other thread. Don't know why the seller wrote in the description that it's only for brushed motors but that's just plain wrong, the controller can adjust the speed of both types of DC motors. I'm using it with a Topsflo TDS5 pump which has a brushless motor (magnetic drive actually).

Back