What makes a beer a "true oktoberfest"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ivypunx

Reaction score
I have heard people say that certain beers are or are not true oktoberfest. What is it that makes it so.

I would say for starters...

It has to be a German lager strain fermented cold.

Rheinheitsgabott (sp?) meaning only water, hops, yeast, and barley malt. So no adjuncts.

I would use only German malts (pilsner, Vienna, Munich) and German hops (Hallertauer, Tetnanger or Herabrucker)

If you can swing a decoction mash then great.

Could be a slightly high ABV than a typical Helles around 6%.

I believe old school is heavier in Vienna malt an more of an amber or Vienna lager. Current trend is more of a pilsner malt base with some Vienna and Munich to get a slight amber color and more pronounced malt than a Helles.

Then drink it by the liter!

As above, traditionally brewed in spring and lagered until the fall. You might be referring to versions made with a clean fermenting ale yeast to mimic lager characteristics, but not being lagers they would not be "true" oktoberfests. BierMuncher has an oktoberFAST ale, for example, in the recipe database.

In Germany it would also could only be an Oktoberfest if it was brewed in Munich. Anything like it you brew would be considered Marzenbier

roastquake said:
In Germany it would also could only be an Oktoberfest if it was brewed in Munich. Anything like it you brew would be considered Marzenbier

+1 on the Märzen. Usually "octoberfest" is the American term used for Märzen. Oktoberfestbier or Dultbier (when not in Munich) is oftentimes simply a stronger version of Märzen, sometimes also a tad darker and sweeter (kettle caramelization?).
Here in Austria, after the demise of Wiener Helles, Märzen is pretty much the standard beer you'd usually get wuen ordering a beer at a bar or restaurant.

Latest posts

Back