What kit should i buy???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wolfgre

Reaction score
http://www.williamsbrewing.com/COMPLETE_BREWERY_WITHOUT_A_KIT_P2355C257.cfm

I prefer to start brewing in a glass carboy but i think this is a great deal just because of the 8 gallon pot and wert chiller those 2 items alone are about 160 dollars together.

http://www.midwestsupplies.com/everything-a-carboy-complete-brewing-package-equipment-kit-2.html

This one i like minus the small 5 gallon pot and it does not have a chiller. but it does have everything!!!

In closing i am looking to brew IPA's and looking for a great tasting product. So, which kit would be the best to start off with?

Both of those look great! I just forwarded the two links to my buddy who is getting into the obsession.

If it were me I'd go with the Williams Brewing Kit. The deal maker would be the 8 gallon brew kettle. I have a 5 gallon now and would like to upgrade to full boils but just don't have the funds to make it happen right now.

yea a 6 gallon pot is 100 bucks the websites i have looked on. im just worried about not haveing a glass carboy?? that is the only draw back for me with the williams kit.

any more info will be greatly appreciated!

If you plan on going all-grain in a shortish amount of time (maybe a year of less) then I would go with the larger brewpot and chiller. Those two things are necessary for all-grain. Also, I personally like fermenting in buckets. I forces me not to mess with it since I can't see what going on inside.

I forgot...

It depends on your heat source. I do partial boil extract brewing and my electric stove could never get 5 gallons to boil. If you can do full boils then everyone says that is the way to go.

I forgot...

It depends on your heat source. I do partial boil extract brewing and my electric stove could never get 5 gallons to boil. If you can do full boils then everyone says that is the way to go.

well all i have is electric. but i can go next door and u a commercial gas burner. but that would not be fun. I hope my electric works... now is 3v1 midwest loosing

I'd go with the Williams kit & when more $$ is available you can grab a burner & carboy for under 70 bones. Best of luck!:mug:

Depends on a few factors. Mostly though the output of the stove. Seems a lot of people have trouble boiling that volume on an electric stove. But if your patient you can probably pull it off.

First: Full boils in a single pot on an electric stove is a bad Idea. It will take forever to get it to a good hard "simmer". Also you end up with a very heavy pot filled with boiling hot wort. I'm not even sure the electric elements on most stoves are built to withstand that much weight.

Second: Don't get all worked up over a glass carboy. I have two five gallon glass carboys that hardly ever get used. I rarely secondary any of my beers and I prefer buckets for primary fermentation. They are easier to lift and carry. They are easier to clean. And, they are cheap.

My vote... Go for the set up with the larger pot and chiller. Then find yourself a good burner.

Good Luck,

BTW: I have ordered equipment from both of the suppliers you linked and I was very satisfied with both of them.

I also vote for the kit from William's Brewing. As a new brewer myself, two things I wish I had were a larger kettle and a wort chiller, both of which you get with the William's kit. The kit I bought from my LHBS was very similar to the Midwest Supply Kit you pointed out and I bought it before really doing my research. It now seems to me that, for the brewing I am going to be doing, secondaries are mostly a waste. I would stick with the William's kit without a carboy.

I think I've got a lot of great info and I have decided to go with Williams Brewing Co. Does a wor chiller help produce a better tasting product?

Latest posts

Back