What kind of fitting is this?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mullet

Reaction score
I was given a plastic Dalex stout faucet for free from a co-worker, and I'm having some trouble getting it set up. It's got some kind of a quick-connect for a hose built right into the end of the faucet, where it looks like you just push the hose into a hole and some barbs on the inside hold it in place. Looks like this:

DSC_0194a.jpg

The little grey part slides out about an 1/8" or so.

I'm not really familiar with hose connections other than the standard barbed ones. This one is labelled "NSF-51" but after googling that it looks as though that's just a standard saying that it's made of food safe plastic, not the actual kind of connection.

So, I took a piece of the hose that I'm using for all my other taps and connected it, but blowing into the other end of the hose, it seems to hiss out around the connection. I don't use thick wall beer line for hose, just hardware store 1/4" ID (I think...) hose.

I don't think I can replace the shank section with a normal one, it connects to the middle of the faucet with a keyed connection that works with some kind of flow rate adjusting mechanism...

Am I using the connection wrong? If I had proper thick wall hose, would it be likely to work then? Or is the faucet just borked? Any insight would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

It looks like the pressure fittings for small air lines for pneumatic valves. You'll probably need some stiff plastic tubing or some kind of rigid tubing to fit in there. Technically, when you push the tubing in, you shouldn't be able to yank it back out (like a Chinese finger trap). To get the tubing out you woudl have to push the connection back in and close that 1/8" space . The tubing that woudl work is like this: http://www.directindustry.com/prod/norgren/pneumatic-hoses-14694-424307.html

It almost looks like that faucet might separate from the "shank" end. What happens if you turn that nut looking part towards the left side of the picture?

Technically, when you push the tubing in, you shouldn't be able to yank it back out (like a Chinese finger trap). To get the tubing out you woudl have to push the connection back in and close that 1/8" space .

That's exactly what happens, only the tubing I have doesn't seem to fit snug enough to be air/liquid tight.

It almost looks like that faucet might separate from the "shank" end. What happens if you turn that nut looking part towards the left side of the picture?

This is what it looks like disassembled:

DSC_0202a.jpg

But I don't think the shank end is replaceable because it is keyed to fit into the front half of the faucet, like so:

DSC_0212a.jpg

Then the key on the white part fits into a groove on the forwardmost plastic nut. Turning that nut moves the white bit back and forth, which I assume lets you control the speed of the flow through the faucet. The shank is all one solid piece and is probably shaped to fit that white bit. There is also a restrictor plate inside the tip of faucet.

I poked around on that link a bit, and the recommended hardness of the hose was 90-95 durometer. After a quick wiki to figure out what that meant, it sounds like I'm using tubing that is entirely too soft. So I guess I just need to get the right kind of hose and this shouldn't be a problem.

Thanks for all the help, all!

Yes, you need more rigid tubing. JRems knew the name for my long winded explanation, thanks! I've only used those fittings at work for the air line hookup to pneumatic valves. Good luck, it seems like it will work just fine!

Latest posts

Back