What Kind of Cornie Keg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cpt_Kirks

Reaction score
Which is the best, the Pepsi or the Coke kind?

What are the pluses and minuses to each? As far as attachment hardware, which type has the cheapest and easiest to get?

I'm a newbie, but have to say Pepsi, with the ball locks (Coke kegs have pin locks, unless they have been swapped). My reasoning is that the ball lock type seem to be more common, at least that is my experience. Sometimes you will run into a good deal on kegs, or the quick disconnects, and will want to buy them, even if you hadn't thought about it. It is nice to have the same locks on all.

I'm pretty partial to the Ball Lock (Pepsi) style. They work just like the hydraulic fittings on tractors, so I know they are a proven design (Not that the pin locks aren't), but I suppose it's just personal preference.

I have never used ball locks but the pin-locks work just fine.

I bet 6 one way 1/2 doz the other. Ball locks do seem to be more prevalent.

Ball locks are more common from what I can tell, but you can still buy fittings for each.

If you're torn, base it on this: Do you like Pepsi better or Coke better? It's a matter of personal preference.

I have ball locks, and I like them.

I like the pin lock connectors - you definitely know they're hooked up, whereas with the ball locks you can have them halfway on and not realize it. However, the pin locks are slightly shorter and wider, and the extra bit of width can affect fridge/freezer capacity, so I went with ball locks.

They're also more common, at least around my area, as some others have noted, so it may be easier to add matching kegs in the future if you go with ball lock. I had a mixture of pin lock and ball lock kegs at one point, and swapped/sold all of the pin locks - got to be too much of a pain to change fittings as I moved kegs around.

I've found that the ball locks are usually found cheaper.

That's the only reason I went ball lock instead of pinlock.

I like ball lock kegs, because the poppet valve doesn't open until the connector is firmly attached.

The main plus for pin lock has to be that you can't mix-up the lines. But, if the plug is sticky, you can get sprayed before locking the collar.

I've heard that complaint about pinlocks many times but not once have I ever sprayed or leaked beer during connect/disconnect. It seems like the O-ring is engaged on mine before the poppet is depressed.

Unless your source for pinlocks has an unbeatable price, go with ball lock. The only reason I went that way is because I had access to 20 of them for half the price as the next cheapest ball lock.

Someone up there mentioned the size difference between the two. I know some folks that prefer pin locks, since they can can stack pin lock kegs two-high in their upright fridges. Some folks have fridges tall enough to stack ball locks. It's all a matter of your situation.

TL

pin locks, ball locks... two things here are important...

1.) 1 has balls, 1 has pins.

2.) Whichever you pick you're stuck with at least until you can afford, or desire, to switch back and forth.

The glory about these kegs is the parts are easily interchangeable and all too easy to take apart and clean. If you change your mind just get new fittings...

Corny kegs, whether pepsi or coke style, are the most versatile piece of pressure vessel I've had the pleasure of working with. :tank:

pin locks, ball locks... two things here are important...

1.) 1 has balls, 1 has pins.

2.) Whichever you pick you're stuck with at least until you can afford, or desire, to switch back and forth.

The glory about these kegs is the parts are easily interchangeable and all too easy to take apart and clean. If you change your mind just get new fittings...

Corny kegs, whether pepsi or coke style, are the most versatile piece of pressure vessel I've had the pleasure of working with. :tank:

I stand to be corrected but I'm pretty certain that a Coke style keg with pin-lock disconnects cannot have the posts substituted with ball-lock disconnects. You go one way or the other or accept that you'll need extra fittings to cater for both.

For this reason alone I turned down a good deal on some pin-lock Cornies.

I stand to be corrected but I'm pretty certain that a Coke style keg with pin-lock disconnects cannot have the posts substituted with ball-lock disconnects. You go one way or the other or accept that you'll need extra fittings to cater for both.

For this reason alone I turned down a good deal on some pin-lock Cornies.

I have both pin locks and ball locks just use the 1/4" mpt fitting on the end of lines and all works well can connect / disconnect, switch back and forth real easy.

I prefer Coke because in the begining I could not keep the gas and outlet connections straight. I know that sounds dumb. But compare it to the Coke. Coke is idiot/drunk person proof.

With that said I own 6 Pepsi (7 up used Pepsi connectors too) and 2 Coke. I plan to give the 2 Coke cornies to my friend.

Back