What kind of beans are those?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CreamyGoodness

Reaction score
Most of you know how I am about food. I was at the local supermarket yesterday, and the Mexican couple in front of me (important only because they were buying a Mexican product... I think) were buying what seemed like twenty pounds of these long, flat bean pods. Probably at least 3" long and about an inch wide. Flat as a board with flat (not round) beans or peas inside. It would appear the pods/skins are woody and inedible. They were sold wrapped in a rubber band like business cards. I looked at the checkout screen and saw what I thought was the word "waje" but when I went home and googled it I got nothing at all.

Having a hard time finding out what these beans are, and more importantly, how one prepares them. What do they taste like, etc.?

Any ideas?

Most of you know how I am about food. I was at the local supermarket yesterday, and the Mexican couple in front of me (important only because they were buying a Mexican product... I think) were buying what seemed like twenty pounds of these long, flat bean pods. Probably at least 3" long and about an inch wide. Flat as a board with flat (not round) beans or peas inside. It would appear the pods/skins are woody and inedible. They were sold wrapped in a rubber band like business cards. I looked at the checkout screen and saw what I thought was the word "waje" but when I went home and googled it I got nothing at all.

Having a hard time finding out what these beans are, and more importantly, how one prepares them. What do they taste like, etc.?

Any ideas?

guaje

From Google it looks like they can be used similarly to pumpkin seeds- toast and salt them as a snack, put them in salads or in rice pilaf, and I bet you could use them in your favorite green mole that calls for pumpkin seeds like a pipian verde.

Back