What is your reaction when you discover a 'local' beer is actually contract brewed?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OP: I see your point and personally I would tend to shy away from someone who was really trying to push a product that was falsely represented. (unless it was some seriously awesome brew. My loyalty can be bought in some respects)
On the other hand, I have a pizza place in town that has their beer made by Firestone. They don't really advertise it, but they don't keep it a secret either. The upside? They have Firestone brews on tap that you can't get anywhere else. Sometimes it's even stuff you can't get at the Firestone taproom like Double Jack IPA.

I'm with those of you who buy local because it is local.

I will pass on a better tasting beer to drink local most of the time. This does not mean I don't ever buy something from another state or even country. I buy my cheap beer from the closest place possible and try to grab Indiana brews when possible.

It is an economic thing with me. The closer my money stays the better of my job and local economy are. With beer it is great because there are plenty brewed close. Other things like my work boots for example I have to spread out to wisconsin. I have turned in to quite a tag reader lately.

I do understand why the contract brew but would be irked if it was bud or miller getting the cash. Still would prefer small private owned beer.

Well, I will tell you a little story...

There is a restaurant in my area that serves some AWSOME authentic German cooking. No lie, this stuff is so good my uncle who lived in Germany was shocked at how authentic and good it was...I think he actually had a flash back while eating the food...

They advertise that they are a brew pub and have some decent brews. I actually looked the other way on the off flavors and that the flavor was "thin/watery" because the food was so good and it was a "brew pub"...not to mention the flogging these liters gave my wallet...

Well one day, after diner I explain to the waitress that I am a home brewer and I would really like a brewery tour. She looks at me like a deer in the headlights...So I ask a few other questions that her BEST answer to was, "Ummm, Let me ask the owner..."

She disappears for no less than 15 minutes and comes back with what I assume to be one of the owners. They explain that they contract out the beer to a "Major brewery in a different city" and that they do not have a "private brewery to tour." They continue to explain that I CAN arrange a brewery tour and meet the brew master, that they assure me all the beer that is "theirs" is directly brewed by and supervised by this person.

I thank them for the info. and leave EXTREMELY disappointed.

Fast forward a few months later and I find out their "brew master" is a member of the local brew club/community and that he supplied the recipe to the brewery and that is it! He does not work at/for the brewery EVER!

I still go to this place from time to time for food but I will NEVER order any of the "house beers" again. I tell this story to everyone I take to this place and ask them to NOT order the house beer either as a way to protest the shady practices. I feel as I have been deceived and flat out lied to.

BTW Please do not ask me to disclose the businesses name or location because I really do not wish to hurt their business. I am really disheartened by the entire thing...

don't care, I buy beer because it tastes good. I don't care where it's from. Osama bin laden could brew it and if it was a great beer and reasonably priced I would buy 100 cases.

So if the beer is good, I drink it, if it's ****e, I don't, it's that simple. I usually don't give a flying frig if it is brewed onsite or a contract brewery, heck, wasn't Sierra Nevada or Sam Adam's contract brewed initially?

What these guys said, it's beer. If I like it I buy it. Heck I paid $88 or so for a 1/6 bbl of Papago Brewings Orange Blossom which is delicious. And guess what, they don't brew it!

All this of course is just my humble opinion. As you all were. :tank:

I have a local brewery here on Long Island (Blue Point) that contract brews their bottled beer. They both taste different. You drink the tap beer compared to the bottled beer and they taste like 2 different beers. But they are both good and I enjoy drinking it either way.

I will add that I drink what's good, period. I think it's kind of a funny notion to be adverse to a beer because it's from, say, another state, or hell, another city. "Wait, this beer is brewed in UPSTATE New York and not NYC? Well, I'll never drink it again!"

Maybe I'd feel different if my favorite beer was being outsourced to China or something, but finding out somewhere has a house beer that's contracted out to Firestone or something isn't going to bug me.

I have a local brewery here on Long Island (Blue Point) that contract brews their bottled beer. They both taste different. You drink the tap beer compared to the bottled beer and they taste like 2 different beers. But they are both good and I enjoy drinking it either way.

This to me is one of the main issues. I have never found a contract beer to taste as good as the initial version that was made in the small, local brewery. Blue Point is one example. Southampton another. I won't go into Brooklyn because the stuff that comes out of Utica I think is very disappointing.

The other main issue is staying LOCAL. I don't really consider another part of the state supporting the local community, or providing that sense of pride.

And don't make me mention the whole 'soul' thing again! :p

My next door nieghbor does exactly what you are talking about. He owns a very small label that is distributed on Long Island and in Manhatten. To me there are two sides to this. The economic, and the purist.

From the economic side, to actually take your idea and actually get it to market is very difficult. getting capital, getting through all the red tape getting your product sold and distributed and many other tiny things that he hasn't even told me about that are issues. He has been doing it for 3 years now and still hasn't made any money. It takes a lot, and I admire him for doing it.

As for the purist side, I do see the issue. He creates and test brews a recipe at home to see how he feels it will go. It is then brewed in upstate New York and ditributed in Long Island and parts of Manhatten. MY small issue with the purity of it is it is being brewed under two totally conditions and I don't see how it can come out to be the same end product. I have been to a number of parties, and his homemade beer beside his commercial brew is no comparison. His homemade tastes so much better. My wife and I had an Oktoberfest and he put his kegerator beside mine. Mine did better then his commercial. From the purist side, I think there is and always will be something lost the further away from our personal labors of love we go.

For his case his labor of love is the company and making that successful. That will be done by creating a great poduct that people will hopefully like and buy.

I wish him the best, and hope he make a million bucks.

I think in the end, to answer the original question, It doesn't scare me off. I'll try anything that is considered craft brewed if its a style I like. It is someones labor of love.

Has anyone watched the documentary "Beer Wars"? (and no, I am not talking about the Broken Lizard movie "Beer Fest":) )
Beer Wars documents the fall of regional breweries to the big three during the 60's and 70's. It also documents the rise of microbreweries in recent years and the challenges they face within a broken system of distributors. There is sooo much good beer out there to try but the distribution network heavily favors profits for the big guys.
Even if Budweiser came out with a great tasting beer, I would never try it. I also avoid any beers that are owned by InBev, which rules out imported favorites such as Boddingtons, Leffe, and Bass.
Does anyone know of any good micro/regional breweries that make a Draught Bitter similar to Boddingtons?

I do not have a problem with contract beers, as long as they list where it was brewed. If it says brewed in ABC, I want it brewed there. I will seek out local brews first, so want to see the locality of the brewery on the label.

As far as a "brewpub", it has got to be brewed on location for me.

A lot of confusion in this thread as to who brews what/where in NY.

I'm pretty sure that Sixpoint brews all their beer in Brooklyn without any contract brewing at all. They do sell their beer in Philadelphia now as well so maybe that's where the confusion comes in? If anyone has a source to indicate otherwise I'd like to see it, I follow this brewery pretty closely and would be very surprised to find out they contract any of their beers out.

Brooklyn Brewery contracts most of their output to FX Matt (makers of Saranac and Genesee) upstate - they always have and they're upfront about it when you tour the Brooklyn plant. Their Brooklyn plant makes a lot of their specialty products including (I believe) everything in caged and corked specialty bottles and their brewmaster reserve tap handles (eg all their best beers), maybe some others as well, not sure. The lager is definitely produced upstate.

Heartland Brewery contracts all or most of their brewing to Kelso Brewing in Brooklyn, not sixpoint. I think the Union Square locations has some limited production on premise. Kelso also makes some beers under their own name for local distribution to bars.

Captain Lawrence just outside the city produces all their own beer on premise.

Even if Budweiser came out with a great tasting beer, I would never try it. I also avoid any beers that are owned by InBev, which rules out imported favorites such as Boddingtons, Leffe, and Bass.
Does anyone know of any good micro/regional breweries that make a Draught Bitter similar to Boddingtons?

I can't imagine why someone would deny themselves a beer that they like because of this (yes, I saw Beer Wars).

Hell, after my work football game today I had not one, but two Budweisers! And I enjoyed them! :)

Heartland Brewery contracts all or most of their brewing to Kelso Brewing in Brooklyn, not sixpoint.

You're right about it being Kelso, but it's Heartland that owns the production facility. They allowed the head brewer to develop his own line, which is how Kelso came to be.

I couldn't find anything that specifically proves that, but this basically lays it out:

http://www.seriouseats.com/2010/02/a-pint-with-kelly-taylor-brewmaster-for-heart.html

The reason I do know that for sure though is because my uncle is very good friends with the owner of the Heartland Brewery chain, and he knows the whole history of the business. He actually asked me if I wanted him to talk to his friend about a job, but I definitely wouldn't make anywhere near enough to justify the switch so I declined.

I can't imagine why someone would deny themselves a beer that they like because of this (yes, I saw Beer Wars).

Hell, after my work football game today I had not one, but two Budweisers! And I enjoyed them! :)

'cause "Big corporate beer be bad." :rolleyes: I'm not a Bud fan at all (don't like rice adjunctaed beers, NOT because it's bud), but to not drink Leffe, Boddingtons, et al, if you enjoy them simply because inbev??? Seriously. Like I said, read Ambitious Brew and you'll feel less like this.

Brilliant! Or, better yet, you should stage a world boycott on InBev to teach them a lesson. Their market share will plummet, plants will close, thousands of americans will get laid off and be thrust into unemployment with little varied employment experience, house foreclose, vehicle get repo'd, it'll be chaos.

That will teach them not to allow people to foolishly, yet willingly, purchase their products.

Mmm. Mactarnahans Brewery (Portland) does a lot of production at the Pyramid brewery in Seattle. Of course Macs is owned by Pyramid so not a big deal.

As far as I know most of my Portland beers are done in state by the company. Rogue brews mostly in Newport, Widmer (I think) brews most of the beer here in Portland or at Red Hook's joint.

I agree. It looks like we are in the minority, but I can't really fault the opposing viewpoint either. I suppose it is like many things- personal preference.

For me it comes down to supporting those I feel deserve my money. Besides not buying a particular beer is a great motivation to create a clone brew. Thanks to Revvy I can enjoy Leffe again for example (great recipe sir!).

On topic: Yes I would be disappointed, but might still buy the product if they are upfront about it as others have said.

Brooklyn Brewery contracts most of their output to FX Matt (makers of Saranac and Genesee) upstate

For what it's worth, I don't think Genessee is brewed by FX Matt. I'm pretty sure its still under High Falls brewery, who just bought out Magic Hat and another brewery on the west coast...

I'll buy any beer that tastes good.

As Revvy stated if the brewpub was trying to be confusing, or out right lying, I would be offended. I just gave up drinking Modelo for a while (thought it was great, but now burned out on it). I buy PBR, I buy a lot of it, but when I get tired of it will find another cheap filler when needed to offset the expensive beer I buy.

Or better yet, brew some beer, and be done with store bought!

Back