What is your opinion of "backside" partial mashing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kirbcheck

Reaction score
I am a regular parti-gyler and split batch brewer.

I'm thinking about brewing a 10 gallon batch of low IBU IPA. I was thinking of cooling to 150*, pulling half for an IPA and then doing a backside partial mash to make the remainder a stout or brown ale.

Thoughts? Y'all think it's too risky?

I am unfamiliar with the term ‘backside partial mash’.

but brewing two beer from one mash is a technique that’s been used for centuries so i believe that would work great.

Do a full volume mash with the base beer. Pull half your wort from the mash. Boil, hop, etc for the IPA. Top the remaining mash with the additional ingredients. Boil, hop, etc the stout/brown.

I'm not surprised you've never heard of a "backside partial mash" as I've made it up. I'm talking about brewing a full 10 gallons of beer, cooling to 150 and pulling off half to be cooled further in the fermenter. But also doing a partial mash via a steeping bag post boil with the remaining wort. My goal is to save the added step of a second boil for beer #2.

Pasteurization is your friend.

What types of grains are you planning to mash/steep post boil? just crystal/caramel/roasted malts? base malts?

No base malts, roasted, maybe caramel.

From my reading, pasteurization happens as low as 145 for 30 min. I honestly feel like itd be a safe bet.

With roasted / crystal malts, there are a couple of approaches for extracting existing sugars, flavors, and colors. A 'mash-like' approach (150F-ish for 30-ish minutes) is common, but one can also steep from flame-on until the wort reaches 165-ish (often 20 minutes) or do an overnight "cold steep".

Across the various books / articles available, there are some that talk about adjusting the wort "post-boil" using steeping grains (no base malts). This can be done by steeping the grains in a side pot, pasteurizing the wort (which you covered), then adding this wort to the kettle or fermenter before fermentation starts.

Back