What is your favorite bittering hop for IPAs?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeSkril

Reaction score
Hi,

I was just wondering what your favorite bittering hop for IPAs is?

Thanks for the input!

Hi,

I was just wondering what your favorite bittering hop for IPAs is?

Thanks for the input!

I like Magnum, high alpha, inexpensive, and not a lot of distinctive flavor outside the alpha acids, so bumping an even ounce measurement up later in the boil to adjust the IBUs won't significantly change the flavor.

I like Magnum, high alpha, inexpensive, and not a lot of distinctive flavor outside the alpha acids, so bumping an even ounce measurement up later in the boil to adjust the IBUs won't significantly change the flavor.

This. I actually use it in every beer now. Completely transparent.

Magnum or Nugget for most beers, but I'd still use Columbus for IPAs. Maybe Super Alpha as it imparts a bit of resin to a beer, even on a 60-minute boil. (I got some when it was on sale)

Pacific Gem is my go to bittering hop. Cheap, high alpha and was what I first used and have since.

Challenger. because IPAs are also english, and this is a good AA hop, with gentle flavour earthy and spicy that will not interfere wit Fuggle or EKG.

regagrding american ones, I use First Wort hopping, so I need a good flavoured hop for this: I like Chinook because piney and grapefruit stick in the flavour of the beer, and do a good contrast with zesty hops used in late boil

I haven't brewed with Warrior. How much flavor other than the bitterness does it add to the beer with later additions?

I like Warrior a lot. It's very clean, and I feel it adds a relatively smooth bitterness.

Pacific Gem is my go to bittering hop. Cheap, high alpha and was what I first used and have since.

I've been using this one lately (it takes a while to use up 100g of high AA when you don't like overly bitter beers!), only because it was the cheapest high AA hop when I needed some more. Not as clean as warrior, but still gets the job done. When I'm finished with this pack, I'll go back to warrior.

Hop extract for apa's /ipa's . There is a reason why most of the world class ipa makers use it (and yes I realize it's partially for improved brew house efficiency )

All other styles it depends. I've got a bunch to chose from!

After lots of experimentation (Magnum, Nugget, Columbus, lots of Columbus, Centennial, Warrior, etc.) I have decided that I like Chinook for bittering. Some say they don't like the "sharp" bittering it provides, but that's exactly what I like.

I use Warrior @ 60min for pretty much every beer I make - including IPAs.

Cheers.

Dude, I use that in my IPAs its got such a great tangy blackberry character. Dont waste it....

I like magnum, seems to be the "cleanest" and cheapest option, but I also like Apollo since its got some good orange/resiny aroma qualities to it as well

Dude, I use that in my IPAs its got such a great tangy blackberry character. Dont waste it....

I like magnum, seems to be the "cleanest" and cheapest option, but I also like Apollo since its got some good orange/resiny aroma qualities to it as well

Its grown here so provides the best aa/$ for me. $4.70 usd for 100g.

I'm an outlier as usual, preferring Chinook for "American" pales and IPAs.
I've been growing the "three Cs" (Cascade, Centennial and Chinook) for five years just 'cuz I use so much of them.

fwiw, I use Magnum to bitter most wheats and Nugget for Trappist ales...

Cheers!

CTZ for me. I have been using hop extract as of late (for the 20 something dollars it costs for the bulk can, it lasts a very long time and is well worth the $$) and have been very satisfied with the bittering end result.

Warrior most of the time. Made an awesome APA with Columbus not that long ago. Keg just kicked last week. :(

I like Columbus or Millennium typically. I find that Millennium is more neutral than Columbus. Recently I brewed an IPA with Fuggles(aroma hop I know) as the bittering hop. Very smooth bittering I must say.

After lots of experimentation (Magnum, Nugget, Columbus, lots of Columbus, Centennial, Warrior, etc.) I have decided that I like Chinook for bittering. Some say they don't like the "sharp" bittering it provides, but that's exactly what I like.

I'm with you I use all the above

its really fun trying all of these combinations , lately Ive dabbled with first wort or first mash then a strong 30 minute hop with good sucess

I use Summit. To be honest it really doesn't matter for a bittering addition as long as it's relatively high AA so you don't have to use a cartoon of it.

I like Bravo. It's cheap, strong and gets the job done. Also it has noble-ish flavors for such a strong hop so if I already have it on hand for the bittering I throw whatever is left over for the hopstand. Way too subtle for a hop-forward SMASH though. Use it my only hop in a lot of beer that don't call for much hop flavor.

I use magnum, mostly because I buy in bulk and it works really well as a bittering hop in all recipes that I brew. I brew a lot of APA, IPA's and pilsners. It's really clean and smooth.

I use Summit. To be honest it really doesn't matter for a bittering addition as long as it's relatively high AA so you don't have to use a cartoon of it.

You mean like this?

hops.jpg

Back