What is up with Midwest and Northern Brewer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OleBrewing

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Do they still sell 50# sacks or is it by the pound. Looks like Maillard is packaging the malt. I haven't bought a sack from either place but they used to have the option.

I have noticed in the last year that midwest has been sort of glitchy, customer service is fine but I would never know when my order shipped.

I guess if it is by the pound at 1.29 for 2-row and not a sack bulk price that is one way to make money if equipment sales drop. hopefully smaller brew shops will not follow this trend.

Anyone have any info on this?

Locating malt drives me nuts since there is an international malting plant 10 miles away and i cant have any. Maybe i will have to build a grain bin and buy a grain truck to be able to create a large enough account to get it at a reasonable price. Or just start making my own. Ok maybe this is a little bit sarcastic, but come on.

Northern Brewer still sells bulk grains Just have to look under Bulk Grains

Midwest also sells bulk grains you have to choose which type you are looking for and then there is a drop down for the particular brand. For example if oyu wanted Rahr 2-row you would choose "Domestic Base Malts" and then in the "Malt Name" drop down list you would scroll down until you find "Rahr 2-Row Malt".

thanks, I should have searched a little harder on there web sites before I jump to conclusions. Midwest does have the bulk grain in the pull down, Northern looks like you have to use the search option at least that's what I see.

Pretty sure they are still packing their own grains, they just wanted to "brand" them. I do like the new packaging with packed on dates and tear open heat seal top. It still has a zipper for resealing.

It's a shame it costs so much for shipping sacks of grain from NB or MidWest. It's almost the cost of another sack of grain! $27 shipping for me in PA. I'm looking for alternative sources to get sacks of grain because my LHBS is a rip-off! I paid $55 for 50lbs of 2-row...where NB and MW charge $35!

Any ideas?

In all fairness, Rahr is Minnesota based. Also, how do think your LHBS gets those sacks? More weight=more frieght cost.

I was fortunate to get in on one of the group buys advertised here on HBT, it saved me a bit of money, the LHBS that we picked up from agreed to honor the group buy pricing on a few extra 50 lb sacks that I wanted, so I'm stocking up.

It's a shame it costs so much for shipping sacks of grain from NB or MidWest. It's almost the cost of another sack of grain! $27 shipping for me in PA. I'm looking for alternative sources to get sacks of grain because my LHBS is a rip-off! I paid $55 for 50lbs of 2-row...where NB and MW charge $35!

Any ideas?

Any ideas? Yeah, try the math. $55 vs $62. You do understand the word "ripoff"? Your LHBS is saving you money. If you ask me, you should support your local guys. They maintain a whole store you can run to whenever for a just few oz's of this or that at your convenience. Sheesh.

Doesn't have to be Rahr. My last couple of sacks purchased were Briess. Also considering picking up some variety on base malts. Usually just carry the main one and buy as needed on the others. I'm thinking of getting a sack of Pilsner and/or Maris Otter to complement what I have now. I realize those are generally a little more...but hoping to find a better deal than my LHBS.

Any ideas? Yeah, try the math. $55 vs $62. You do understand the word "ripoff"? Your LHBS is saving you money. If you ask me, you should support your local guys. They maintain a whole store you can run to whenever for a just few oz's of this or that at your convenience. Sheesh.

That's a good point. I didn't consider the shipping totals add into their prices as well. I was just looking at $35 vs $55 and trying to save the $20 somehow.

And of course, support your LHBS whenever possible!

Morebeer.com shipping is slightly cheaper at close to $15 to Philadelphia from their shipment facility in western PA I believe. Depending on where you live it may be different. Ends up being about $50 for great western 2-row. I picked up a bag of briess 2 row at my lhbs for $55 though because I'm impatient and $5 more didn't seem out of this world

Have checked a couple local places to me here and also $52 to $55 for a sack. Sounds like that is pretty standard.

Have checked a couple local places to me here and also $52 to $55 for a sack. Sounds like that is pretty standard.

Yeah, too bad we don't live near NB or MW....and we could get sacks of grain for $35 lol.

Maybe they'll be a group buy in the Philly area sometime this year? *crosses fingers*

Unless I am buying a recipe kit from one of the mail order houses, I will get all of my baseballs and most of my specialty malts from the local shop ... and the specialty malts are by the ounce versus by the pound. Best of both worlds .. he stores it and I get it as needed.

Ha - baseballs - I love me some auto correct :) Base grains !!

I happen to live in MN, just outside St Paul so I could go to MW or NB and get it without shipping. We happen to have a LHBS that is closer so I buy from him. His prices are about the same and I like supporting him as it is nice to have a local guy.

Yeah I understand shipping costs, I usually buy my sacks from country canery in moorhead they cost the same if I was to have them shipped.

My complaint is that cargil is down the road, malt plants are in agreement to sell only to brewers or brick and mortar home brew shops. Must have become a pain dealing 1 or 2 sack customers.

Move to Germany! The online brew store here ships everything flat rate 6€ shipping. One day I'll be back in the states and I'm going to miss having sacks laying around the house.

Also - check for discounts...... It is not uncommon for homebrew stores to give 5-10% discounts for belonging to AHA or belonging to a local homebrew club. That is something that can offset a few bucks as well.

I second supporting your LHBS - maybe even arrange some sort of group buy, etc. that allows you to get a little better deal - between that and not paying shipping, it is really difficult to beat what your LHBS might be able to do for you. I am lucky to have a great small store nearby that I can get 2 row for under $40 and weyerman pils, munich, wheat and crisp maris otter for all around $50-$55(ish).

The other thing you could consider is simply making a road trip, or having a friend pick some up if they are coming past somewhere. Buy a couple hundred pounds of grain, no shipping, good to go for a while.

Before I had a LHBS, I would place an order through Northern Brewer for a big grain order. Pay for it, and then have some friends in the twin cities pick it up for me on a weekend where they would be coming down.

Also - check for discounts...... It is not uncommon for homebrew stores to give 5-10% discounts for belonging to AHA or belonging to a local homebrew club. That is something that can offset a few bucks as well.

I second supporting your LHBS - maybe even arrange some sort of group buy, etc. that allows you to get a little better deal - between that and not paying shipping, it is really difficult to beat what your LHBS might be able to do for you. I am lucky to have a great small store nearby that I can get 2 row for under $40 and weyerman pils, munich, wheat and crisp maris otter for all around $50-$55(ish).

The other thing you could consider is simply making a road trip, or having a friend pick some up if they are coming past somewhere. Buy a couple hundred pounds of grain, no shipping, good to go for a while.

Before I had a LHBS, I would place an order through Northern Brewer for a big grain order. Pay for it, and then have some friends in the twin cities pick it up for me on a weekend where they would be coming down.

I'm in PA. Don't think a road trip is a viable solution :(

I'm in PA. Don't think a road trip is a viable solution :(

???? You don't have homebrew stores in PA?

I am 75 miles (in any direction) from a town of over 5000 people .... can't believe you are much worse off than I am.

There is no homebrew store within 100-200 miles where you could get a decent price on sacks of grain?

Or just start making my own.

This is a viable option for certain base malts like Pale and Pilsner, perhaps even Vienna and Munich. If you want to invest the time and effort (it's easy but it does take time and an investment in certain equipment.)

???? You don't have homebrew stores in PA?

I am 75 miles (in any direction) from a town of over 5000 people .... can't believe you are much worse off than I am.

There is no homebrew store within 100-200 miles where you could get a decent price on sacks of grain?

LHBS is close, that's not an issue.

Any brew clubs nearby? Sometimes they do group buys, get a discount and pass it along to members.

I believe there's one that meets at the LHBS, I need to look into that.

This is a viable option for certain base malts like Pale and Pilsner, perhaps even Vienna and Munich. If you want to invest the time and effort (it's easy but it does take time and an investment in certain equipment.)

Well the fiance is gluten intolerant and i was running the idea of making gluten free malt. There might be a malting experiment in the future.

This is of no usefulness to your situation at all, but I fortunately live 20 minutes away from the plant which does all the malting for Asahi beer here in Japan. Considering it's Japan, I get fresh malt out the door for the same price most of you are paying, about 50 bucks for 50 lbs.

This is of no usefulness to your situation at all, but I fortunately live 20 minutes away from the plant which does all the malting for Asahi beer here in Japan. Considering it's Japan, I get fresh malt out the door for the same price most of you are paying, about 50 bucks for 50 lbs.

That is way cool. Your neighborhood must smell amazing.

If in midwest rite brew is cheapest. If you qualify for speedee shipping use it. I'm standard overnight in central illinois and shipping is cheapest by far. Check it out.

Any ideas?

Seems like a good price to me. My lhbs is 65 a sack last time I checked. I can get it for 50 after shipping from NB.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Home Brew mobile app

Any ideas?

ritebrew.com

Will MoreBeer in PA let you pick up locally?

Sadly, they are in Western PA. I live in SE PA. Found this on their website though:

Free Shipping on Orders Over $59!
From our East and West Coast Order Fulfillment Warehouses

Wonder if bulk grains count. I'll have to call them during their open customer service hours and ask. The website is still calculating shipping costs.

Wonder if bulk grains count. I'll have to call them during their open customer service hours and ask. The website is still calculating shipping costs.

They don't. On the item pages for bulk grains, I always see "Shipping Limitation: This item does not qualify for free shipping." directly above the "Add to Cart" button.

Check out week knee in Pottstown $42 for briess two row, can't be than an hour from you.

I just PM'ed him with this, I've actually seen Briess two row on sale there for cheaper. They had a special near christmas and it was $37/50lb. One thing tho if you let them grind it they REALLY grind it unlike other LHBS's. I do my own grinds I was getting too many stuck sparges. They are worth a trip tho.

Will MoreBeer in PA let you pick up locally?

Nope. I was excited when I heard they were opening a location in Pittsburgh. Then they said there would be no will call.:confused: I'm about 1/2 hour away and still would have to pay $12.50 per sack shipping. While not bad, fortunately there's a group buy that happens here every couple months. Maybe someday they'll wise up.

Back