What is this white powder inside bottles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

homebrewjimbo

Reaction score
I went to a place to get beer brewed for the first time and the owner said he could bottle just come pick up the beer. The first 25 bottles were fine but noticed this in the last 25 bottles. It was like this before pouring the beer just sitting upright. Any ideas?

Attachments

• IMG_20230924_224718157.jpg
    IMG_20230924_224718157.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
Those white tracks are on the inside, I gather?
Could they be abrasions, mineral deposits or leftover cleaner perhaps?

Have you tried scrubbing some of those tracks out with a bottle brush?

Besides the tracks, green glass is not the preferred color for packaging beer. Beer can become lightstruck, even skunked, as the more harmful light rays to beer (i.e., green, blue, and UV) can penetrate the glass and mess with the dissolved hop compounds. So keep them stored in the dark, in a closed box or fridge, or so.

Ya inside the plastic ..those are supposed to be new bottles I bought from the brewing place....there is also some white sediment on bottom in the beer too. When I saw they were selling green I thought that can't be good but I've kept from light.

Last edited:
Looks like yeast to me. White sediment at the bottom would also be yeast. Great stuff.
Good point, yes, (white) sediment on the bottom is usually yeast (and trub)!

I've bottled my share, but never seen yeast cling to the sides like that, although that was in brown glass bottles.

Is that from Jake's? I have some of the same PET bottles I use for 'leftovers' that don't fit nicely in my kegs. I've seen that when I've left them upside down to dry, but I can't remember if it was Star San or un-rinsed PBW I'd just put aside on not rinsed thoroughly. Star San would be fine, but a cleaner would probably make them taste off....How does it taste?

Is that from Jake's? I have some of the same PET bottles I use for 'leftovers' that don't fit nicely in my kegs. I've seen that when I've left them upside down to dry, but I can't remember if it was Star San or un-rinsed PBW I'd just put aside on not rinsed thoroughly. Star San would be fine, but a cleaner would probably make them taste off....How does it taste?
No it's not from Jake's .....they taste ok. The owner of the Brewery bottled them too and he's been in business for 30 years so hopefully not leftover sanitizer.

No it's not from Jake's .....they taste ok. The owner of the Brewery bottled them too and he's been in business for 30 years so hopefully not leftover sanitizer.
Maybe you can ask him...

Most pro breweries use PerAcetic Acid as sanitizer. It should not contain solids, as it's a mixture of Hydrogen Peroxide and Acetic Acid (Industrial Vinegar), both liquids.

Back