What is this infection, what should I do with it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bradmont

Reaction score
(This is a repost since I didn't get any responses in the Lambic forum)

I have a random brew that I made with some leftover grain and stuff a couple months ago, details here - Something Something Belgian. Decided to pitch some belgian yeast and ferment open for a few days until the krausen died down, then racked to a carboy (with the yeast cake). Had a taste maybe 5 weeks ago and it was definitely weird, but kind of good -- lots of peppery esters and such. It's been in my closet since, and I recently pulled it out and had a look, only to find it infected (can't say I'm terribly surprised, though.) So can anyone identify this infection?

99EkSl.jpg

zUA7Ml.jpg

To see larger resolution look here.

I had a taste tonight (the pellicle is broken in the picture from where I took the sample). It still has a lot of odd esters, the carboy smells almost like fermenting wine, still tastes peppery, and a little too roasty (put too much chocolate malt in). I think I detected a bit of a sour taste, but with all the other strong flavours going on I couldn't be sure; not to mention that I haven't had much sour beer so I don't really know what to look for. If this winds up being "Something Something Sour Belgian" I wouldn't mind, but I have no experience with critters other than yeast.

So my question is, what is this infection? Should I do something to get rid of it, or let it ride? Or something else?

Thanks!

Well,maybe you got lucky on the open part of fermentation & got the little critters that make those sour ales. You say it tastes ok at the moment. I say,let it ride till it clears to a slight haze & try it again. Who knows,this may just be a good thing. But I'm sure someone with more knowledge of Belgian beers will speak up.

Well,I figured since they still use open fermenting tubs in Belgium,you may just have simulated that. Seems like a left over from the Bronze Age to me.

Without a doubt (or a very small one) Lactobacillus!

How sour do you want it? Keg or bottle/carb then refrigerate asap if you like it the way it is. OR if you want to experiment a bit let it ride a few weeks and if its a brown ale of some sort you could end up with a piece of history. What I mean is a traditional Old World Brown Ale or Porter, soured before serving.

I had a brown ale do this to me not 3 months ago. I could detect a hint of sourness, but I thought it was good as is and so kegged and carbed. I even sent bottles with my wife to her work and ALL approved!

Word of caution though: if thats a glass carboy, good! if its plastic its now a Lactobacillus fermenter. That stuff is impossible to get out of plastic. I know from experience.

Cool! Thanks!

It's not terribly sour at this point, I could barely taste the sourness. I'll absolutely let it ride a while longer. And yes, it is a brown ale.

And yes, it surely is a glass carboy.

Hey, any idea how I could keep a culture of this stuff for future use if I want to? Could I just wash the yeast as normal and throw it in the fridge, or would I have to do something special?

unlikely - lacto doesn't floc like yeast - as far as i know, it stays in suspension. you could pull off a sample and drop it into some pasteurized apple juice and try to grow it...

Back