What is this? Infection or proteins?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

malt81

Reaction score
Hello

I have made 3 BIAB batches and in the last one I used irish moss. After fermention I saw this in my fermenter:

prot1.JPG

prot2.JPG

Beer tastes good, smells good and is the clearest beer after fermention step I have made, but I have never noticed anything like that. Also not in in my 8 extract batches. It was a little bit troublesome to bottle this batch.

I used 7 g (0.25 oz) for 23 L (6.07 gal) batch of irish moss, like reccommended on tha label of the irish moss' packet.
I remember, that when I transferred my cooled wort into the fermenter I also poured a little bit sediment from the bottom of my kettle.

This is a lager beer. I used Fermentis w34/70 yeast. It fermented 13 days @ 12 C (53,6 F), no cold crash.

Are these just proteins?
How to avoid this in the future?

BR,
A

If you can cold crash it before bottling it will help them to fall nicely to the bottom. But yeah,looks like protein to me.

Thank you for the replies, feeling better now:)
Any tips besides cold crash for a smooth bottleing?

Well, this one is already bottled, so step by ;)
Last 5 bottles was hard to fill and got fuzzy but looks like the best batch I have made so far:)

Back