What is this in THIS in my Passionfruit Wine?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IronPenguin

Reaction score
These stringy orange clumpy masses rose out of my wine after it had a stuck fermentation and I added some Lallemand CBC-1since it has a neutral flavor profile and a higher alcohol tolerance than the Cider House Select yeast I used originally. They sink when I slightly agitate the must just by moving the fermenters.
Is it proteins? I checked Passion fruit and other fruits, and found they have almost the highest levels of protein. Although I used a frozen concentrate that has other fruit juices in it..
I'm not sure it's mold since it hasn't spread and a Fungus.. still not sure.
It kinda resembles mycelia and could've been colored by the concentrate I used.
Doesn't smell funny either.
What do you think??

Chunks of half degraded fruit? Pectin? Probably not mold.
Have you added any pectic enzyme? also, adding lysozyme could be beneficial to prevent bacterial growth.

Chris

Yes, I did use pectic enzyme.
Maybe these pictures can shine some more light..

tmp_4144-20170129_205212-1121247222.jpg

tmp_4144-20170129_205340-153998618.jpg

tmp_4144-20170129_205310-2070281657.jpg

I haven't had mold myself, but I've seen pictures of it, and this doesn't look like that. I'm going with fruit chunks - can you scoop a bit out and examine it?

Yup, fruit chunks. I had that with my apricots. Also similarly with my blackberry wine.
It never really wanted to settle out. I had to filter it out with some scotch Brite wrapped around my racking cane.

Chris

No whole fruit used. Then again it could be all the sediment from the 4 cans of frozen concentrate.. hmm..
I'll just rack it and fill it with more juice so I don't drop the gravity too much. I'll have to use more pectic enzyme next time I make this recipe.

What was your recipe? I have a passion fruit vine in the house. If it flowers I'll be happy. If I get any fruit I'll be thrilled. Living in Alaska definitely has its drawbacks...

I made it very cheaply since I mainly like brewing beer and am experimenting with quick wines and ciders.. It's a 2 gal recipe.
4 - 11.5 fl oz cans of passion fruit concentrate
1 - 59 fl oz jug of passion fruit juice
4 lbs refined sugar
Then I filled it to the 2 gal mark with water.
Yeast nutrient, pectic enzyme, wine tannin, tartaric acid, and Fermaid o
my og was 1.140 I should've made a yeast starter, periodically added Fermaid O to help yeast stay healthy, and oxygenated the must.. The best way to learn great practices and skills are making mistakes, right? Lol

Coagulated passion come out of solution. With the right amount of timing, and a little foreplay, it might rouse continued interest. But if it has aged too long it is prolly too late. :p

I mixed it in w/ yeast nutrient, tannins (since they don't mix well if directly added to must..),and acid when I rehydrate the yeast.
Passion coagulation, huh.. Passion fruit is hella goopy.. It's in secondary right now and I was fixing to rack it off what less are there and away from this coagulated nonsense..

Back