What is this floating in my bottle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcleanmj

Reaction score
I noticed these little white globs floating at the top of some bottles and clinging around the neck of some others. If shaken the particles dislodge and mostly sink to the bottom. I drank 2 bottles to see if they were infected. Carbonation was normal and I didnt perceive any obvious off flavors - maybe a hint of something but that could just be in my head.

Admittedly my sanitation was questionable on bottling. I sanitized the bottles in the dishwasher (which has never been an issue) but didn't rinse the bottles super well beforehand and I forgot to select high heat on the dishwasher.

Attachments

• 20200915_183605.jpg
    20200915_183605.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 53
  • 20200915_181054.jpg
    20200915_181054.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 52
Agreed! This is a best bitter bottled 2 weeks ago. I actually opened the first bottle after a week and found it was well carbonated and tasting delicious. Since then I've drank 4 or 5 bottles, all were excellent. However, those 5 were in a different batch of bottles that had been previously cleaned really well. The ones pictured are from a different batch of bottles that had been sitting around a while that I just tossed in the dishwasher to heat sanitize.

Latest posts

Back