What is the one piece of add-on equipment you couldn't live without

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bboyeruga

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm talking, equipment you didn't buy at the beginning, wasn't in any starter kits, and you had no idea would be as useful as it is.

Reason I'm asking is I'm getting into brewing and I have about $500 I want to pump into equipment. I've done a lot of research and everything I want adds up to less than $500, so I want to see what else I can buy that will make my entry into home brewing that much more enjoyable.

What kind of chamber do you have? Homebuilt? What do you think of some of the electric thermal pads/wraps they have for carboys?

I have an old 15 cf chest freezer from Craigslist with a Johnson A419 controller; total cost < $200. Anything that will reliably keep your temp at the desired range should be fine.

In my case, beyond the starter kit, and after brewing a few batches in order of acquiring was;

Wort Chiller,
Oxygen System
Refractometer

If you're only doing extract an refractometer isn't really important, but regardless of whether it's ag or extract the first two are invaluable.

I don't usually see auto-siphons included in equipment kits, but that's one thing I got right away and couldn't do without. I second the temp controlled ferm chamber, controlling fermentation temperature is the single improvement I've made that has the biggest impact on the finished product.

I have an old 15 cf chest freezer from Craigslist with a Johnson A419 controller; total cost < $200. Anything that will reliably keep your temp at the desired range should be fine.

I have an old reliable Gibson 20 w/Johnson controller. At the moment, I have two 15g+ fermenters, two carboys aging imp stouts, a corny and some bottles fitting comfortably in it.

I have a large basement that stays a stable temperature. I needed a wort chiller, I've been regularly upgrading my kettle, now I'm using a 15 gallon converted keg. If I had it to do over, I would have spent $67+shipping each on a 25 gallon kettles on Amazon, and converted one to a mashtun. I used propane for a year, now upgraded to electric ($280 self built with parts from Amazon/eBay/HW store).

Wort Chiller
Fermentation Temp. Control
yeast starter equipment, stir plate, oxygenation stuff.

I think those are the biggest changes/additions that have really improved my beer.

Yeah fermentation control should probably be up there as #1.
I bought a new 5ft freezer at Lowes, Ranco Dual stage and a fermwrap for a total of $320. You can do it for cheaper for sure with the fridge, but the dual stage in my mind is a must if you are brewing year round. Set it and forget it, unless you want to ramp up temps. Heat or cool barely runs and no noticeable energy bill increase.

+1 on fermentation control and refractometer.

One of my favorite additions is a digital scale. I started with a spring type postal scale. It was difficut to get accurate readings for partial ounces.

Ferm temp control, hands down. My first one was $135- $95 for a used 8 cu ft chest freezer of Craigslist and $40 for a temp reg.

Mine came with one, but yeah, I think that one would rank in priority on my list even above what I posted.

Anything as simple has a hose clip?

I've also been wondering about air tight storage containers for bulk grain purchases. Anyone thing these are key or have any suggestions on what to buy?

I have a large basement that stays a stable temperature. I needed a wort chiller, I've been regularly upgrading my kettle, now I'm using a 15 gallon converted keg. If I had it to do over, I would have spent $67+shipping each on a 25 gallon kettles on Amazon, and converted one to a mashtun. I used propane for a year, now upgraded to electric ($280 self built with parts from Amazon/eBay/HW store).

Woah. Tell me more. I'm building a new home that will have a gas stove inside, but I plan on getting an outside burner for brewing.

Anything as simple has a hose clip?

How about a large spring clip for paper? I clip the hop bag to the edge of the kettle during boil. The bag is not floating and scalding hot when doing multiple mid-boil additions. :tank:

For me the best addition was a new wife. When I started brewing it was always a fight to find brew time. I traded the SWMBO for a supportive spouse and brewing has never been an issue for the last 15 years. It helps that she loves stouts and IPAs and loves to go brewery hopping.

This did cost me more than $500.00 though.

1) Temp control. I found a wine fridge for $12 at a thrift store and added a Johnson controller (gift from my father in law!) I have recently added a couple $25 Hydrofarm seed tray mat heater things and a $35 Hydrofarm digital thermostat...waaaaay cheaper than a Johnson and fine for ale fermentations.

2) keggle and propane burner. Full boils, no boil overs, and my wife was happy that I wasn't brewing in the kitchen!

3) wort chiller. Kinda hard to stick a keggle in the kitchen sink...

4) yeast starter set up. 2 L Erlenmeyer flask, homemade stir plate, stir bar.

5) oxygenation set up

6) pump, silicone hoses, cam locks

7) newest toy, stainless hop spider from stainless brewing should arrive tomorrow for my birthday!

I'd probably say a pump. A refractometer is also handy if you fly sparge. Moving from bottles to kegs is also an worthy investment. I'd still start with a pump.

Before you spend a fortune, you should brew at least a few batches and see how you like the hobby first. Then follow the above suggestions if you are still interested and want to drop more cash. Not everybody ends up liking it, which is why Craigslist usually has tons of used brewing equipment listed for sale.

This is a tough one. It's a toss up between a few different items.
45 bottle tree & vinator-bottles take up less space & quicker sanitizing.
Super agata bench capper-works better than wing cappers.
5G paint strainer bag-big PM improvement over muslin grain bags.
Bucket lid wrench-tired of sore finger tips prying pesky lids off.
These are the main ones,but some other little bits-n-pieces that make things easier & quicker are always can't do without items in my opinion.

I just find it so funny that so many folks prioritize temp control over basic things like being able to chill you're wort as quick as possible, or ease of racking or good oxygenation. Things that help the front end of the process, to make the actual brew day easier or give the yeast a start. I'm not saying it's wrong, it's just interesting. I don't recall in the 27 billion times this question's been asked so many more folks talking about temp control, over the other things.

I think in the past folks have said, concentrate on getting the right tools first and for temp control, just start with a simple/cheap swamp cooler, and don't worry about a fridge or freezer and temp controller so high up in the acquisition chain.

Hmmm. Interesting.

Gotta agree with ya there,revs. I always looked at it as getting any bits-n-pieces that make brew day & bottling day quicker & easier. Real time temp controlers & the like will wait their turn. Streamlining the front end processes has the greatest effect on time in my opinion thus far.

When I first started I thought the clear vinyl siphoning hose and long spoon were the cat's butt.

When I first started I thought the clear vinyl siphoning hose and long spoon were the cat's butt.

That's 'cause you're old, and prolly chase kids off your lawn with that long spoon. ;)

old-man-with-cane1.jpg

Latest posts

Back