What is the natural evolution of a homebrewer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jlanier01

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Is the natural evolution of a homebrewer? Extract Kits >> Partial Mash >> All-Grain.

Is there any reason to do a partial mash before taking the plunge to all-grain?

How many extract kits did you make before you "moved up"?

Is the natural evolution of a homebrewer? Extract Kits >> Partial Mash >> All-Grain.

There isn't really an evolution - it's what fits you, your situation, your experience, your interest, etc.....

I do AG now, but still the best beer I ever made was an extract + specialty grains kit (I think I just really nailed the fermentation temps).

I don't know if there is a natural "progression". Some people stay with extract brewing forever, due to their happiness with their product and the convenience. Some go right to AG brewing, without ever brewing an extract batch. Some stay right in the middle, and are happy with their choices.

I think most of the folks here on the forum are pretty brewing obsessed, so we aren't really the norm! But even in this group, there are a lot of experienced extract brewers that have no plans to go AG.

I was on the cautious side- very happy with my PM brews and even said things like "My beer is good now, I have no plans to go AG- I like the convenience, etc" for quite a while before I attempted my first AG batch. I'd have to guess that I did maybe 3 extract batches, and 15-20 PM batches before even trying AG.

Everyone's different I suppose. I've been an extract w/specialty grains brewer from day 1 and I'm still quite content. Of course someday when I get some decent brewing space I'll probably transition to all grain, but I'm in no rush. Some people immediately start out all grain or transition very quickly with little or no issues. It's up to you to decide when you think your ready, but getting some experience with extract might be beneficial to get some of the basics down before jumping into all grain.

I'm just now reading up on Palmer's guide to brewing your first AG batch. A lot of the benefits sound great, but there is definitely overhead when it comes to convenience and skill level. I'll probably stick with extracts until I feel my results are consistent, or I get more space.

make crappy beer (pre-HBT)...make good beer (post-HBT)

Before I started lurking here I was fermenting in Mr. Beer 'kegs' in the top shelf of my closet. Now I've got a dedicated fermentation refrigerator and another refrigerator for my two cornies.

I did 1 Cooper's Kit, read How to Brew and then went all-grain. Am now going to brew my 2ed all-grain on the brewstand I built this week. I guess I jumped off the deep end. :cool:

I made 4 extract batches, then went all grain. Somewhere in there I crossed the line between hobby and obsession, and I'm ok with that. :rockin:

The only reason I can think of is if you have any kind is space restrictions, such as being an apartment brewer. If not, skip the PM and go straight to the AG. If you are inclined to move on past the extract brewing, that is.

I'm waiting to make a "good" extract batch before I move anywhere.

I've made 3, and all were marginal. I've since learned the importance of fermentation temperatures (and we've transitioned into fall) - and I'm hoping the next two are much better.

I work in validation within the pharmaceutical industry, so I need at least 3 successful extract batches under my belt before I change anything.

I did about 4 LME kits then moved straight to all grain. Partials are to involved and complex for me man. AG is really technical but if you keep it simple they are much easier than partials.

I don't think so.
I didn't know any homebrewers when I started.
The first batch I ever brewed was 130hl Pils.

Not in my book

0, I started with all grain
I didn't know extract kits existed when I started to brew.

Cheers,
ClaudiusB

I started with partial mash and after careful planning have moved to all grain recently. I brew in an apartment so space was the major limiting factor. I did PMs because that seemed like the best way to make the most "real" beer at the time in my constraints. Best decision I ever made was to make 2 2000w heating elements and go all grain. I have been brewing 2-3 times a week ever since going all grain and Its just so darn fun!

Best decision I ever made was to make 2 2000w heating elements and go all grain. I have been brewing 2-3 times a week ever since going all grain and Its just so darn fun!

before going AG what resources did you read? Forum? Palmer? Any huge mistakes you can share with a n00b? :)

I would say you have to follow your interest, which sounds like you want to move to all-grain. If that is the case I would suggest reading Palmer and then anything else you ca. Keep engaging with this forum, but mostly, just get brewing. Pull some gear together knowing it will evolve over time. Start with what you have and go from there. My first all-grain set-up was a pot on a stove and a couple buckets. The beer got better after that.

i started out AG, i read, researched, basically geeked out on anything and everything i can read, then jumped in. Still so much to learn, but that never really stops

before going AG what resources did you read?

Online DIY Articles for constructing mash tuns. I learned theory and technique easily because I have some science education. I also watched many YouTube tutorials as well as compulsively reading HBT.

I wanted to try and post something about a natural progression but as you've seen by now, there is no such thing. What you really need is a good mentor. There is nothing better than brewing with an experienced brewer. You can see their equipment, see what does and doesn't work. Put your hands on a beer in progress without the responsibility of having to think ahead to the next steps or prepping when you've never done it before.

This is probably why it took me years to try AG. Heck, if you are already doing full boils the only thing you have to buy is an MLT. You can make one that will last a very long time for $40. That's less than the cost of 2 extract kits. I would say if you are interested but don't feel ready go for it anyway. It's better to try a little too soon than to keep questioning yourself.

I am getting ready to teach a friend how to brew and since I'm AG brewing now that is all I plan on teaching. I'm sure that within 2 or 3 batches he'll be good to go on his own. He just lives down the street so it might just turn into a joint venture! Yipppeeee....

Brew beer-> wait -> drink said beer.

That's about the only common thing for brewers, and even that could be argued.

I wanted to try and post something about a natural progression but as you've seen by now, there is no such thing. What you really need is a good mentor. There is nothing better than brewing with an experienced brewer. You can see their equipment, see what does and doesn't work. Put your hands on a beer in progress without the responsibility of having to think ahead to the next steps or prepping when you've never done it before.

This is probably why it took me years to try AG. Heck, if you are already doing full boils the only thing you have to buy is an MLT. You can make one that will last a very long time for $40. That's less than the cost of 2 extract kits. I would say if you are interested but don't feel ready go for it anyway. It's better to try a little too soon than to keep questioning yourself.

I am getting ready to teach a friend how to brew and since I'm AG brewing now that is all I plan on teaching. I'm sure that within 2 or 3 batches he'll be good to go on his own. He just lives down the street so it might just turn into a joint venture! Yipppeeee....

to agree with this, my biggest resource besides HBT and Papazian was my brother in law who has brewed for 12 years. Any questions he would answer, would give suggestions on recipes, and walked me through the equipment step by step... more then once. Having someone experienced local is a great resource to have

I'm waiting to make a "good" extract batch before I move anywhere.

I've made 3, and all were marginal. I've since learned the importance of fermentation temperatures (and we've transitioned into fall) - and I'm hoping the next two are much better.

That's exactly how I feel. I started out with a free fridge, which became a kegerator. Then I realized I knew a lot of people trying brewing and that kegging cut out enough of the work to make it something I had to try.

I have made 9 so-so extract batches and also recently learned about fermentation temps from a Brew Strong podcast--that is, steady almost correct is better than correct at night and high during the day. I think every beer I have brewed this far has been under-attenuated and had un-metabolized acetaldehyde.

Soooo psyched about the current batch....

They also said on the Brew Strong show that the beginning brewer trying to get to the next level should save the AG money and buy a fermentation fridge. They said most people going to all grain are ready to drop some cash on their hobby, and get a fridge at the same time--and it is usually the steady temps that take their beers to the next level.

The obsession is sooo real. I really can't put a finger on why it gets that way, other than it's pretty f'n sweet to be able to make your own good beer.

I did three partial-mash batches, loved them, then went all grain. Even took a 6 month hiatus to save up for equipment. I really believe all grain is essential when doing certain styles. I just think it's difficult to get the flavor of say a N. English brown or a Mild right when using extracts. There is just something about the flavor of English pale malt in an all-grain beer that gets lost with extracts. Same for beers that use Pilsener malt, that grainy, crackery flavor is absent in extracts. Maybe you can get slick with steeping certain specialty malts to compensate, but I'm not convinced.

I wanted to do AG on my first batch, but didn't have a big enough pot. I made 4 extract batches before I found a 60qt pot on sale super cheap. I've since made 5 all grain batches, and no partial mash batches yet.

Though I have my AG setup down well, and it usually is cheaper per batch, I still do PM's in the summer cuz it is so damned hot outside. I can partial mash on my kitchen counter, and boil on the back porch while looking at it through the sliding glass door- in the AC. Minimum time exposed to 100+ temps. Negligible flavor difference. Still fermenting the same.

That's exactly how I feel. I started out with a free fridge, which became a kegerator. Then I realized I knew a lot of people trying brewing and that kegging cut out enough of the work to make it something I had to try.

Aside from sanitation there is no more important piece of the process that we as homebrewers do than temperature control.

Yes, it's good to get a strong rolling boil, yes it's good to get the hop additions in at the right time and so much more. But these are much less likely to be overlooked by a beginner than the every so critical sanitation and temperature control.

When I first started brewing in the early 90s I had nothing other than a few copies of Zymurgy and Joy of Homebrewing. My LHBS in Sacramento and my health food store in Davis were little help and all the fermentation science people I knew were wine makers not brewers. I never made a decent batch until I started actively controlling temperature.

I am simply an extract brewer, and only because of space and money constraints. If I could go AG I would do it in a heart beat.

Im going to be in school for the next 6 years or so, so its going to be pure extract for the foreseeable future. I do hope to go AG one day but since that day is not for like a decade or so, I am completely content with extract.

A - Brew one extract kit and consume within 10 days of boil.

Z - 23 kegs, 10 taps spread amongst three kegerators, 250# of assorted grains and 18+# of assorted hops on hand, regular requests to brew for friends and family occasions and a few dozen assorted ribbons and medals from local and regional contests.

How soon you get from A to Z is up to you...but if brewing is in your soul...you'll get there and...it'll be quite a journey. :rockin:

A - Brew one extract kit and consume within 10 days of boil.

Z - 23 kegs, 10 taps spread amongst three kegerators, 250# of assorted grains and 18+# of assorted hops on hand, regular requests to brew for friends and family occasions and a few dozen assorted ribbons and medals from local and regional contests.

How soon you get from A to Z is up to you...but if brewing is in your soul...you'll get there and...it'll be quite a journey. :rockin:

um, yes; I think this thread has been ended, and BierMuncher wins! :rockin::mug:

What you really need is a good mentor. There is nothing better than brewing with an experienced brewer. You can see their equipment, see what does and doesn't work. Put your hands on a beer in progress without the responsibility of having to think ahead to the next steps or prepping when you've never done it before.

Couldn't agree more, most of my inspiration for AG brewing is coming from stopping by an experienced brewer's house from my work and watching him pump out an oatmeal stout. He was also teaching another friend at the time, so it was like a mini-workshop. He had a lot of equipment that I haven't acquired yet (wort chiller, refractometer, a turkey fryer turned wort machine).

All in all, a mentor is probably the best way to absorb experience and lower the ramp up time.

Though I have my AG setup down well, and it usually is cheaper per batch, I still do PM's in the summer cuz it is so damned hot outside. I can partial mash on my kitchen counter, and boil on the back porch while looking at it through the sliding glass door- in the AC. Minimum time exposed to 100+ temps. Negligible flavor difference. Still fermenting the same.

I like your thoughts. I'm partial mashing because it takes less time. I can do it in my kitchen. With kids and a wife, golf courses calling my name, pheasants waiting to be hunted, and assorted other activities I'd rather not spend 6 or more hours over my brewing equipment.

Back