What is the easy way of using rice?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chimone Theo

Reaction score
So I want to make a real crisp Kolsch using some rice to lighten the flavor. I am a cooler all-grainer so a single step mash is critical. How can I use rice efficiently with a 152 deg. Mash? What is the difference between Flaked Rice, Rice Solids, or even minute rice?

Thanks, Love the sight. It makes my Brainweiser.

There is an article in the latest BYO on brewing American Lagers. They talk about the different ways to use rice and corn for your beer. I would think the easiest way to add rice would be an extract that you can add to the boil. I don't have the mag in front of me so I can't remember the other options.

To use corn, you can add flaked maize to your mash or use corn grits. The grits require a cereal mash, which involves boiling it, and again, I can't remember the exact procedure for that.

I used rice in a recipe a long time ago. I purchased a bag of uncooked white rice from the grocery store. I ground the rice in my mill then cooked it until it started puffing up (maybe 30 minutes or so). The rice was then added to the rest of the mash.
I think I followed the instructions from Papazian's book. (Page 254 of the third edition of The Complete Joy of Home Brewing)

I just use flaked rice in my mash. I do add rice hulls to it aswell. I actually like the smell of mashed rice flakes.
flaked%20rice.jpg

Its fairly cheap too.

Chimone Theo said:
So I want to make a real crisp Kolsch using some rice to lighten the flavor. I am a cooler all-grainer so a single step mash is critical. How can I use rice efficiently with a 152 deg. Mash? What is the difference between Flaked Rice, Rice Solids, or even minute rice?

Thanks, Love the sight. It makes my Brainweiser.

we'll throw it in the crock pot Saturday morning for 30 minutes or so before we start. See you then

I have used rice syrup solids as the easy way to go.

I have used flaked maize (corn) in my mash and it was easy as well to get a lighter product. Worked great. It was Charlie Papazian's recipe out of his second edition book except I used flaked maize in place of the corn starch he had in his recipe.

I have been using rice the last few batches. I tried milling the rice into smaller pieces in the past but seems more prone to clumping together when you cook it. Last few batches used 1# which was 10% of the grain bill. Cooked the rice for 20 minutes and added to my grains. Then added 165 degree water at a rate of 1.25qts:1lb grain yielding a mash in the low 150's. Mashed for 1.5-2 hours and then sparged.

Chimone Theo said:
So I want to make a real crisp Kolsch using some rice to lighten the flavor.

Bad enough that brewers here in America don't care about the trademark Koelsch, now you guys even add rice ???. You should at least call it an American Light Ale.

Kai

Actually, I have had the true Koelsch in a few Brew Halls in Koln. That is where I thought the recipe came to be. Great, Great city and those tall thin glasses of golden beer went down very easy. :mug:
No dissrespect to that beer or origin.
Now what I was refering to earlier was really only using the Koelsch yeast strain. The grains will be mainly German Pilsner, the rice, and not using any wheat. Most Koelschs usually have wheat. This recipe is shooting for a Pacifico-style Mexican Pilsner, With out the whole lagering process. Light and Clean. It's for my old man I'm more of an Arogant Bastard type.

Back