What is the difference between partial mash and all grain?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Partial mash = Some grain...and the rest is extract
All grain = all grain. no extract.

The search feature here will serve you well.

The kit that I got from Midwest Supplies has extract and a bag of grains, that means I do a partial mash. I thought what I was doing was just called extract. Thanks.

Confused again? I looked on Midwest and they have in the recipe kit category, a partial mash and then other categories by style I got Irish Red Ale w/ Munton's 6 gm dry yeast in the amber ale category. It is not under the partial mash category. Am I still doing a partial mash?

The kit that I got from Midwest Supplies has extract and a bag of grains, that means I do a partial mash. I thought what I was doing was just called extract. Thanks.

As Monghetti ventured, what you are doing is called extract brewing with steeping grains. The real difference between the three main types of brewing (extract, partial mash, all grain) are where the fermentables come from. In extract brewing, even with specialty grains, the fermentable sugars are coming from the extract. In partial mash brewing, most of them come from the extract but some also come from the grains. In all grain... well, I'm sure you can guess.

And yeah, as malkore pointed out, the search feature is your friend.

Would you suggest moving to partial mash, before all grain? Or straight to all grain? I am not thinking about either anytime soon by the way. I still have lots to learn.

Looking at it a learning experience though, will benefit much from partial mash, or would it be better to go to all grain right away?

Partial mashing is something you can do without buying any new equipment so it's something you can do before investing in a large pot like 8-10 gallons and a wort chiller. All grain means boiling 6.5 gallons down to 5. Partial mash can be topped up and thus boiled in a smaller pot.

Looking at it a learning experience though, will benefit much from partial mash, or would it be better to go to all grain right away?

You can crew up a partial mash and still end up with a great beer :D

I think I've learned and researched a lot about mashing by doing mini mash brews. I'll be moving to AG soon!

wooly is right.With a PM if you F up your efficency you have the extract to fall back on.

Back