What is the best Yeast Nutrient?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wduncan1983

Reaction score
I'm pretty new to making starters. I made my first this week and then did it over again in the hopes of using 1 vial of WL CA-01 for 3-4 batches. I'm thinking that the yeast nutrient will keep the yeast as viable as possible. Am I off base or on the right track?

I've never used yeast nutrient and have harvested yeast from starters (from a single original vial) up to 17 times without a problem. Nutrient really becomes more necessary as you start making really big (1.080+ OG) beers, in my opinion. Cheers!

I appreciate the info. I'm actually making a Pliny clone this Sunday with an OG of 1.078. Any Advice? The instructions are 1-1.5 teaspoons per gallon prior to pitching.

You don't need much nutrient, an all malt wort has just about everything you need except maybe zinc. For a big beer I would look for a nutrient with zinc if anything, something like Servomyces.

The thing with brewing is that it's all up to your personal taste, and a lot of anecdotal evidence.

If you want really healthy yeast, use WLP001 or similar, get some yeast nutrient from your local LHBS (search around here to see what mix people recommend), and then do a flask starter on a stir plate.

Ideally, oxygenate your wort as well before you pitch (once cold), or aerate it as much as possible.

At smaller batches you'll see the outcome more from a flavor repeatability standpoint, but your quality difference (especially with the amount of hops in Pliney) may not be as noticeable as fermentation temperature control would be.

You can make great beer with a basic extract kit, dry yeast that wasn't hydrated, in a room with heavily fluctuating temps. It's up to you how much you want to lock down the variables and when (in other words, a lot of this stuff is ideal, but it's not the end of the world if you don't do it).

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Back