What is the best way to clean a blow off tube and orange carboy cap?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EROK

Reaction score
I see some black spots on the underside of my orange carboy cap that I think may be mold. I cannot scrub them off at all. Also what's the best way to get the blow off tube clean after its filled with gunk? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

I soak mine in PBW with the inside of the tube filled as well. then use this to scrub long lengths of tubing inside; http://www.beveragefactory.com/draftbeer/cleaning/brushes/NHCB38.html This one shows the one with 3/8" brush. but they also have smaller diameters. I also have a set of 3 aquarium filter lift tube brushes I use as well. The orange cap can be soaked in PBW as well. I use a lift tube brush lightly on it after the funk soaks loose.

Long brushes are your best bet as others mentioned.

As for the black stuff sometimes rubber/silicone will get discoloured and/or pick up stuff. If it gets bad and can't be cleaned it may be time for a new one.

Kal

When pbw soaks don't work I just buy a couple more feet of blow off hose as it's cheap and I'm too lazy to scrub with a brush.

Being retired, I have to save a buck where I can. Doesn't take long to run that long, skinny brush through it. I just did a couple of them a lil bit ago...

Back