What is Roggenbier?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
from the German beer institute website:

ROGGENBIER

AKA:
Rye Ale

Pronunciation guide for English-speakers:
Pronounce "Roggen" (German for "rye") like "rogg'n'" — a combinination of "rocking" and "rigging," but swallowing the "i" and "g" in "ing" "Gose-uh" as in "rose" plus "uh."

Definition:
Roggenbier is a medieval ale usually made from a grain bill of about half barley malt and equal portions of wheat and rye malts. Today, a Roggenbier may be either an ale or a lager. Modern renditions of the brew have about 5 to 5.5% alcohol by volume. Rye ales are mildly hopped, which allows the grain flavors to be dominant. Filtration appears to be optional in a rye ale and many, such as the Paulaner (depicted right) are "naturtrüb," meaning naturally turbid. A yeast-turbid Roggenbier is more authentic, considering that the style had been around long before beer filtration was invented in 1878.

Being ancient brews, Roggenbiers can have a faint whiff of earthiness in the nose that is reminiscent of rye bread. The up-front sensation is one of mild fruitiness. There is a slight to extreme yeastiness and breadiness in the middle, and an almost smoky, spicy, faintly sour and very dry finish—clearly the effects of the rye malt. Effervescence ranges from medium to spritzy like a Hefeweizen. The body is substantial, almost reminiscent of a Bockbier. The brew has a pleasant, rich, off-white head when poured.

For the most part, Roggenbiers are tart, refeshing summer quaffing beers, a nice alternative to a Hefeweizen. They go extremely well with a succulent slice of barbequed roast pork.

I actually just made one. Drinking it now. It is basically a wheat beer with rye and other malts added. It used more hops and is naturally a considerably different flavor than your typical wheat beer.

Here's a HW glass is on the left...and a Roggenbierglas.

The Rogen glass is not straight up and down like a column. This one is slightly tapered with a smaller base.

P5160005.JPG

and now to the "does anyone have a recipe for this?" part of the post. Mjm76, do you have a recipe that you'd care to pass along? I'm even more interested now. My favorites are the wheats, but I'm looking for something just a bit different and this may be it! I'm going to brew something this weekend, and it could even be my first AG batch if I get my MLT done by Friday night. The above mentioned detailed description was quite mouth-watering for sure.
Again, thanks everyone!
:mug:

Heres what I did......this is a partial mash recipe, so if do all grain, just substitute for the extract. If you have never done PM, reply bakc and I can walk you through that (much simpler than some other explanation you will get).

6.0 lbs wheat LME (60/40)
3.0 lbs Rye malt
1.0 lbs Flaked Rye
0.5 lbs carawheat
0.25 lbs chocalate wheat
0.5 lbs munich malt (could subsitute pils or 2 row, just trying to get enzymes)

1 oz Hallertauer @ 60 min
1/2 Hersbrucker @ 30 min
1/2 Hersbrucker @ 10 min

Wyeast Bavarian Wheat

In retrospect I would probably use Saaz for aroma and flavor to add to the spiciness, I also might add more rye for the same reason. But suit it to your tastes and see what you come up with.

Here's one for you:

Pale Rye Ale

8 lbs pale malt
4 lbs rye malt
.75 oz Northern Brewer, finish
.5 oz Centennial 6.6% bittering
.5 oz Centennial, finish
Yeast Sierra Nevada yeast or Wyeast 1056
Procedure Single-step infusion mash or step mash. 90 minute boil.

mjm76 said:
Heres what I did......this is a partial mash recipe, so if do all grain, just substitute for the extract. If you have never done PM, reply bakc and I can walk you through that (much simpler than some other explanation you will get).

6.0 lbs wheat LME (60/40)
3.0 lbs Rye malt
1.0 lbs Flaked Rye
0.5 lbs carawheat
0.25 lbs chocalate wheat
0.5 lbs munich malt (could subsitute pils or 2 row, just trying to get enzymes)

1 oz Hallertauer @ 60 min
1/2 Hersbrucker @ 30 min
1/2 Hersbrucker @ 10 min

Wyeast Bavarian Wheat

In retrospect I would probably use Saaz for aroma and flavor to add to the spiciness, I also might add more rye for the same reason. But suit it to your tastes and see what you come up with.
I would like to do the PM version as I am doing only extract at the moment, and I would welcome your input on how to PM. Thanks for the reply, I am looking forward to trying this out. I'll just do your recipe first and then decide if I want to deviate afterward.

ronjer said:
I would like to do the PM version as I am doing only extract at the moment, and I would welcome your input on how to PM. Thanks for the reply, I am looking forward to trying this out. I'll just do your recipe first and then decide if I want to deviate afterward.

OK, here's my simple method.....it works out for me, because with the extract I am not totally dependent on grains for fermentables.....so worst case scenario, you don't have as much alcohol.

I used brewsmith for the calculations: and I put in the recipe according to what I told you earlier.

You will need a small cooler (with a spigot).....I use a 3 gallon Igloo, like at a golf course or a on a construction crew and a colander that fits in the bottom of your cooler and a thermometer.

Flip the colander upside down and put it in your cooler. Add your grains. In this instance add 6.5 qt of water heated to 165 F. Stir a couple times as it sits for 45 -60 min.

While that is "cooking" heat up maybe a gallon of water to 168F

Drain off your wort and then slowly add the sparge water (what you just heated to 168) and drain that off. You will get a feel for it as you go. Like I said the worst case scenario is you don't get as much alcohol, but you will get more fermentables and flavor than just steeping the grains no matter what you do.

One note for a rye/wheat mash. In hindsight, I might add some rice hulls, because it does get very gooey and slow draining. This won't affect flavor or anything with your brew it will just add some substance to your mash so it isn't so gooey. (You will see what I mean when you try it)

I can't find rye malt here so I use rye flakes. Just mash Pils or Stout malt (high diastatic power) or add amaylase enzyme to the mash if doing a high % of unmalted rye.

Rice hulls help. Though I seem to be doing OK with my wheat/rye mashes without them. Maybe I just have the miricle manifold. lol

Dennys Fine Consumptibles said:
I can't find rye malt here so I use rye flakes. Just mash Pils or Stout malt (high diastatic power) or add amaylase enzyme to the mash if doing a high % of unmalted rye.

Rice hulls help. Though I seem to be doing OK with my wheat/rye mashes without them. Maybe I just have the miricle manifold. lol

I have been able to get rye malt through northern brewer

Back