What is on top of my homebrew?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Could anyone help me figure out what this is? And is it bad?

image-2199765187.jpg

I don't have any personal experience with it, but from everything I've seen on this site, that looks like a pellicle to me.

What kind of beer is it? What kind of yeast? How long has it been in primary? How does it smell/taste?

I looked back at your previous posts, and it looks like you've had a similar infection previously (the belgian dubbel with the infection in the carboy). If this is a recurring issue, you might need to re-examine your sanitation techniques...

Looks pretty to me, let it go for a while and call it a sour, who knows what will happen.

That is almost for sure an infection. If you are having trouble with stuff like this then you should look into your sanitation techniques. You might have a scratch in the bucket you use which is causing this. If it keeps happening you probably should consider bleach bombing your plastic and/or replacing it.

Def an infection. I don't think it's lacto though. I forget the name of this one.
Properly controlled,you could get a nice sour out of it. Hopefully someone who does sour beers will chime in. I can't drink that stuff very often,it hurts my stomach.

Why not a lacto infection? Looks a bit like the infection I had which I was told was lacto. (But then again looks a little different too. A little more wispy in form. My supposed lacto formed a similar pattern but a bit more "fractal" looking. [Tighter formation.])

Definately a pellicle.

Maybe you can ignore it. I'm got my infected pale ale sitting in carboy in my closet for a few months so far with the intent to make a sour and I'm hoping someone somewhere will tell me how the eff to do that (all I've gotten seems to be you let it ferment/condition for "a longer period of time"; um... okay... ).

After that my ESB got infected and I figured **** it; I can't handle this. Denial works well for me when my family members die of cancer so maybe denial will work well for me when my beer is infected. So I just bottled it as though nothing were wrong. And, actually, it's really fantastic great tasting beer.

Then again maybe I was *really* lucky.

Good luck... but you're infected. Definitely.

I am of the school of "You don't know until you serve it" so might as well keg/bottle it and see how it foes. Even then if it is bad stick it in the back of a closet and let it age some more. :p

I didn't think it was lactobacilis because it's not slimey & bubbly with spider web lines conecting the big slimey bubbles.

Back