What is "light munich malt?"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mfranzer

Reaction score
Hey everybody. Doing a 2.5 gallon AG Strong Scotch ale. Still new to all the tyoes of grains out there and I have a question about my recipe. Here is the grain bill:

7 lbs Golden Promise Malt
0.5 lbs American Caramel 60°L
0.5 lbs German Light Munich
0.25 lbs Belgian Cara-Pils
0.125 lbs Roasted Barley

SRM is about 17.5, shooting for an OG around 1.094

My question is about the German Light Munich. The online HBS that I frequent has:
Briess Organic Munich 10 (10L)
Caramel Munich (56L)
Gambrinus Dark Munich (30L)
Weyermann Cara Munich I (30-38L)
Weyermann Cara Munich II (41-49L)
Weyermann Cara Munich III (53-60L)
Weyermann Munich Type II (9L)

So, which should I use? I have a feeling it will be the organic, or type II, but was just wondering if you guys had any thoughts. Thanks in advance!!

Pretty much what Iowa said. Usually "light munich" is the 10L stuff. Weyermann makes a 6L (Munich I) and a 9L (Munich II), I would still consider the 9L the "light Munich" for your recipe. The other Weyermann Cara Munich grains you list are caramel malts, you don't want to use those for the Munich portion of your grain bill. You could use the CaramunichIII in place of the American Caramel 60 imo. I don't have any experience with the 30L Gambrinus malt, but I hear it's pretty intense.

With that little of Munich I bet it would be hard to tell the difference between using a 6L or 10L Munich. I think of light Munich as Weyermann Munich I (6L).

Here's your answer to Weyermann's Munich Malt.

What Weyermann calls "dark" is their Type II and is actually quite light at 9.9L, compared to Briess' Light at 10L. Yet, the Weyermann Type II has really great flavor. I would use that in your Scottish Ale, and perhaps boost it to 1 pound.

I would steep the roasted barley on the side (@ low temps) and don't add it to the boil until 5 minutes left or at flameout. It tastes better that way.

light is the 6L. if your LBS has melanoidin or aromatic I'd use that instead, or use the weyermann II and up it to 1#

Best maltz typically puts out a 10L light and a 20L dark. The 9L "dark" seems pretty intriguing.

best malz dark is 10L, they don't carry a 20L one

Thanks for all the replies. I have been reading up on steeping the roasted barley separately and will definitely try that. As far as the Munich type II, I like that suggestion as well. So here is the new full recipe for 2.5 gallons:

7 lbs Golden Promise Malt
1lb Weyermann Munich type II (this replaces "0.5 lb light munich malt")
0.5 lbs American Caramel 60°L
0.25 lbs Belgian Cara-Pils
0.125 lbs Roasted Barley (steeped separately)
0.5 oz East Kent Goldings - 5.0 AA% whole; boiled 60 min
0.25 oz East Kent Goldings - 5.0 AA% whole; boiled 20 min
0.25 oz Fuggle - 4.8 AA% pellets; boiled 5 min
White Labs WLP028 Edinburgh Scottish Ale

Look ok?

Back