What is honey costing you?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Spend some time on the forums, read about nutrients and TONSA schedules.

Of the 4 meads I have on tap, the oldest is 18 months, and it's the dregs of the batch that I am trying to finish so I can start drinking this years. The other old mead is just over a year old, and the only reason I am now drinking it is it took me a while to fix it. My two favorites are both brewed in the last 6 months.

In Louisville Ky, I can buy local clover honey $10-$15 a pound OR go to Sams and get 5 pounds for $15. Is local honey just high here, sure does seem cheaper every place else. The $10 a pound I pay for local is a friend price too.

$10 / lb is pretty steep, but at farmers market, 1 lb jars go between $10-$15, so I get it. the reason I get a better deal from the bee keeper I buy from is that gallon jugs are easier for him to deal with. but he won't go any lower even for a 5 gallon bucket. Most bee keepers I have talked to will usually swing a deal if your buying in quantity of large containers.

Sigh...let me Google that for you?

https://www.foodsafetynews.com/2011...three-fourths of,of products labeled “honey.”
Shows that over 75% of store bought honey contained zero pollen. Why remove pollen? Because Chinese honey needs to have all the pollen filtered out so it cannot be traced back to China as the point of origin, and rice syrup obviously has no pollen. Every single honey on the list is *more* expensive than the Costco honey, so it is doubtful that they can economically deliver a cheaper price on real honey than rice syrup and chinese honey.

25% of organic honey showed low amounts of pollen inconsistent with unfiltered honey, which is a requirement for being labeled organic. If you think the requirements for labeling organic are less stringent than True Source Certified, then possibly you have a case, but that is assuredly not so.

www.vice.com/amp/en_us/article/884kq4/your-fancy-honey-might-not-actually-be-honey

*True Source* along with a multitude of name brand honeys are being sued after NMR testing has showed that the honey has been adulterated with rice syrup. *Let me reiterate that True Source Certification is named as a defendant* as honey that was True Source Certified was found to be adulterated.

Quoted: "Several beekeepers and packers, who didn't want to be named for fear of professional retribution, told me that True Source hasn't been as thorough as they claim to be, and has instead become a shield behind which nefarious players can import adulterated honey without reprimand.

Sophisticated and large scale adulteration has thus been able to make a mockery of the honey industry’s feigned attempt at 'self-policing' through True Source," said one honey importer and packer, who requested anonymity over fears of professional retribution.

Heitzinger said the actual number of bad actors operating under the True Source umbrella is unknown, but that he's tested many True Source-certified products and found evidence of adulteration. One honey they tested was so fermented from all the excess water added to dilute it "that in my opinion, you couldn't sell this to a minor because there's so much alcohol it would be illegal," Heitzinger said."

Nature Nate's is also true Source Certified and, quote, "Another suit, filed by Heitzinger and Buehler in February against Texas honey company Nature Nate’s, alleged that its "100% RAW HONEY" had been heated, and that the samples showed that other sugar syrups had been added to the honey."

https://www.justice.gov/usao-ndil/p...s-prison-avoiding-379-million-tariffs-chinese
https://www.justice.gov/usao-ndil/p...arged-roles-illegal-honey-imports-avoided-180
Three of the largest Honey Packers responsible for much of the honey available for retail sale have pleas guilty to illegally importing lead and antibiotics tainted Chinese honey and relabelling as US honey or Argentine, Indian, Malaysian, Taiwanese, etc and adulterating with sweeteners. It would be impossible to avoid this honey purchasing from a big box retailer. And these guilty pleas are not stopping the flow of illegal and adulterated honey...the profits are too compelling for them to stop unless more stringent testing is required.

Plus, true it's hearsay, but it is directly from the source who tested it, said that he tested that exact Costco Honey with an NMR machine and it had rice syrup in it. Given the above evidence I would have to be dense to not believe him, especially since he had zero vested interest in honey sales.

So, I don't know what ulterior motive you have, whether you work for Costco, or are a honey packer, or you don't want to believe that you've made rice wine, or if you are just terrible at googling.

My vested interest is that I'm a beekeeper who is seriously upset that my hard work is being undercut by wholesale illegal activities, whether adding rice syrup or illegally importing antibiotic and lead tainted honey.

Sorry, I honestly joined because I wanted to learn how to make mead.

Last edited:
Sorry, I honestly joined because I wanted to learn how to make mead.

First story is the one I spent a great deal of time researching when I first read it because it concerned me. I couldn't find any substance or facts, imo it was meant only meant to scare and shame people. Your posts follow the same theme and thought process.

Why are prices paid to beekeepers so low according to the USDA?

https://www.ams.usda.gov/mnreports/fvmhoney.pdf

Okay, I can't help those that don't want to be helped. I can only assume you have some vested interest in this.

Okay, I can't help those that don't want to be helped. I can only assume you have some vested interest in this.

My interest started when you quoted my post as one of your first posts. Then you told me that the honey I purchased at Costco was rice syrup. You further made a statement that I wasn't making mead, I was making rice wine.

You brought me into the conversation and I replied.

I even gave out a link to the recent wholesale prices being paid to beekeepers just in case you hadn't seen it or didn't know the USDA publishes such info.

Common man. I get it. You sell honey. You are the one with a vested interest. I wish you and anyone involved in agriculture success. Even the beekeepers in the plains states who produce so much of the wholesale honey seen in this country ;)

Those numbers are voluntarily given by the same large scale producers and packers that are defendants in the lawsuits. The reason the asian countries are so low is because most of it is from China and laundered to show it's from their country. India, Malaysia and Indonesia export more honey than they produce. The countries that most often mentioned re-exporting are Ukraine, India, Argentina, Malaysia, Indonesia and Taiwan.

Here is a screen capture of a producer selling "honey" to a broker.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200616-202424~2.png
    Screenshot_20200616-202424~2.png
    498.3 KB · Views: 50
A few days ago I was looking at honey at my local Walmart. $15 for five pounds. By coincidence I ran into a local bee keeper the same day. He sells his for $20 a quart: about $6 or $7 per pound.

Last edited:
Three of the largest Honey Packers responsible for much of the honey available for retail sale have pleas guilty to illegally importing lead and antibiotics tainted Chinese honey and relabelling as US honey or Argentine, Indian, Malaysian, Taiwanese, etc and adulterating with sweeteners.

I wonder if Monarch's Choice 60 lb. Honey in that club. All of my mead is used that product.

According to this ... it wasn't tested, but wallmart/costco has. But then NPR says that article is full of "hooie"

To the original cost. Monarch honey. 120Lb (60Lb Clover, 60 Orange ) cost including delivery and tax ~$320. Or ~$2.70/lb.

Last edited:
I get my honey from a local bee keeper in Graham, WA. Got (2) 5 gallon buckets (about 62lbs each I believe) of some raw Red Clover honey for $460 if I remember correctly.

Local honey is $6-$8 a lb, I've been running some batches with cheaper honey from Walmart (less than $3/lb) and Aldi ($4.50) and they come out ok. I'm planning on doing some side by side tests with 1 gallon batches of different big box brands vs/local raw honey and see is I can notice any flavor differences. I realize the cheaper honey is most likely ultra filtered from China, but is there a flavor downside that I'm going to notice?
I'd like to get the special $10-$15/lb honey people talk about, and if you really like ultra special mead, or want to win competitions, the $60/gallon raw material cost is worth it, but I'm just too cheap to do that right now.

Local bee keeper is $60/ 12lb gallon. 5 gallon buckets are a few bucks off the gallon price.
I’m in southeastern PA. We have a couple local apiaries. (Within an hour, hour and a half drive.) About the same. $55-$60 for a gallon. 12 pounds, I think.

I haven’t made mead for awhile. I have 2 or 3 cases in 12 oz beer bottles that are about 3 years old. Orange blossom honey, straight/still mead. One of cases is/was a hopped mead that I steeped with Citra. That had lost most of its hop flavor last time I tried one. I did these at 2 lbs per gallon. If I recall, that should make the OG about 1.070. Since mead ferments to 0 unlike beer, that would make about 9%.

It’s good, I just don’t drink it often. It hits me hard, even at 2 lbs per gallon strength. Whether its the sugar or whatever. I know others make it stronger, at the 3 lbs per gallon “sack mead” strength.

Last edited:
I usually use between 2 and 3.5 lbs per gallon depending on other additions. My traditional was 24lbs in a 7 gallon primary. The Blueberry was 12lbs in a 6 gallon primary. Generally I shoot for around 1.130-1.135 as an OG. I'm generally drinking them within 6 months. All of my meads ferment to completion (FG 0.995, ~18% ABV) and are dry.

Adding some humor here as this thread reminds me of a commercial....

These bears calmly prowl the aisles of a supermarket on their hind legs, sniffing at cantaloupes and filling their shopping carts with generous amounts of honey, appropriately in those little bear-shaped clear containers. The cashier is likewise a bruin, calling for a price check on a honey container that stubbornly refuses to scan while the customer moans his annoyance.

Back