Bulk Honey Resources

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MX1

Texas Ale Works
Reaction score
It goes without saying, but get acquainted with your local bee keeper. I know guys that produce hundreds of gallons annually.

If you are ok with the local varietal, wildflower or sourwood in my case, you could get a decent deal if you commit to buy honey by the gallon. You also support the local guy.

Todd Peterson

Right now local bee keepers charge same price as bulk producers - so until inflation adjustment, I would source local.

It goes without saying, but get acquainted with your local bee keeper. I know guys that produce hundreds of gallons annually.

If you are ok with the local varietal, wildflower or sourwood in my case, you could get a decent deal if you commit to buy honey by the gallon. You also support the local guy.

Todd Peterson

Right now local bee keepers charge same price as bulk producers - so until inflation adjustment, I would source local.

Understood, but sometimes, new people like me, might want a resource to help guide them in the right direction, and all my local honey is 10$-12$ a pound.
I would rather start and screw up with cheaper honey.

And I am still on the lookout to find a Local Supply to support, but until then....

MX1, Fully get where you are coming from.

My point was, if you talk to the right beekeeper, they give volume discounts. Beats the heck out of sitting at a farmers market all afternoon in the sun trying to sell jars to tourist.

Also, $30 to $36 per quart seems really expensive. With a little effort, I bet you could get local honey in the $75 per gallon range.

That all assumes you are good with the local varietal.

Todd Peterson

Back