What is high chlorine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nevertrustahipie

Reaction score
I've made an english pale and an northern english brown extract beer with bottle drinking water, and am going to try two new things for my next brew, Jamil Zaineshff's Black Widow Porter.

1) I'm planning on doing a stove top partial mash as seen on the forums.

2) I'm planning on using tap water instead of bottled water.

My main question is what is considered high chlorine/chloramine levels? My municapal water reports 1.48 and 3 ppm, respectively. I was planning on buying a brita or pur faucet filter.

As I understand using campden tablets is one of the best ways to drop your chlorine/chloramine levels. Thats funny that they use both, I have always heard that it is one or the other.
Also I don't know what is considered high so I'm subscribing to find out the answer, although my local council only list the chlorine level as free available chlorine >0.2 ppm. Not to hijack your thread but if anyone know the convesion between chlorine/chloramine and free available chlorine (or is it the same thing?) that would be great :)

1 to 2 ppm free chlorine is pretty much in line with anywhere else on a municipal supply. For a buck fifty you can get a big bottle of KMS tablets (Potassium metabisulfite) which will chemically reduce both.

My main question is what is considered high chlorine/chloramine levels?

If you've ruined as many batches with chloramine as I have, or even one, I think you'll conclude that any value other than zero is too high.:cross: I now carbon-block filter and dose with Campden just to be sure!

Back