What is everyone getting for grain absorption?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

h22lude

Reaction score
I was squeezing the hell out of the bag and was getting a very very low GA. This last batch I bought a hoist and let it drain over the kettle and gave it a little squeeze but forgot to update GA in BeerSmith.

For those that let it drain and give a slight squeeze, what do you typically get for GA? This batch I calculated 1 fl oz/oz but I think that is slightly high.

i tend to lose about a half gallon for my typical 12 lb grain bill. I squeeze pretty well, but nothing too crazy. so 64 liquid ounces per 192 grain ounces. about .33 fl oz/ oz. is about right by my simple math. feel free to correct me if i calculated wrong.

1 fluid oz per oz of weight is equivalent to 0.125 gal/lb, which is very typical of a non-heroic wort recovery process. I have gotten as little as 0.08 gal/lb with an aggressive squeeze. I no longer enjoy doing that, so 0.12 gal/lb is what I use in my recipes.

So my measurements were pretty spot on to what you get. Really just want to make sure my measurements were correct. The volume markings Spike put on my kettle are a little off so it was harder to figure out my volume measurements this last batch. I need to recalibrate it so I can tell where the volume is at.

At 2.5 gallon batches, it's a bit easier for me to squeeze the heck out of the grain (there being less of it), so I usually get 0.4-0.5 gal/lb. I consider it a fun "workout" as the main volume of wort is heated towards boil, so I get everything out of it I can.

My most recent brew was - 8.81 gal. water, 11 lbs. grain bill with .81 grain absorption. It was really close according to my sight glass. I do use a press plate.

^^Minor correction its .081 and .05. I get about .05 or less using small lid and a collander. I squeeze and then rotate and squeeze and rotate.

I do 5 gallon batches, e-BIAB. In Beersmith I use BIAB Grain Absorb of 0.4960 fl oz/oz. This value makes my post-hoist kettle volume short by about 0.5 gallon, which I then make up with a pour-over sparge. I do squeeze the grain the basket by mashing it with a pot lid.

For my system at least I found Beersmith's default value (0.586) to be much too high.

I tend to get about .1 (between .08 and .11). That's what I use in calculating water volume - .1

Not a big squeezer. Colander and panini press.

0.08-0.09gal/lb seems to work well for me. I squeeze pretty good, but not what I feel is too much... I ratchet the bag up, fire up the burner, and squeeze while the wort is heating.

I wish I knew BIAB was so simple, I would have started years ago!

I average 0.04 gal/lb for grain loss, but I'm a real squeezer. In fact I place by bag of hot grains in a metal colander over a steel pot, then place a metal bowl on top of the grains and literally stand on the bowl! (Don't try this with glass or plastic equipment!) 200 pounds of me on top of eight pounds of grain sure makes the process faster.

TomVA

I get absorption of 0.077875 gal/lb, 0.623 floz/wtoz

Approximately. :)

I squeeze using the Earth. Obey gravity. It's the law. 5G batches, I just hoist after mash and let it drip into another pot during the 15min or so to bring the kettle to boil, then add the drips.

I am a simple man.

Using a grain bill of 23 pounds, for a 10 gallon batch, when squeezing the grain I use .075 gallons per pound to determine grain absorption. When not squeezing the grain using .125 gallons per pound seems to be the accepted absorption rate.

Back