What is better juice or fruit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jpbing

Reaction score
I have a juicer. So I have been taking and juicing fresh fruits to use in my melomels. Most recepies I see say use pieces or crush and strain. Opinions????

I could see a juiced fruit be easier than whole/crushed fruit in the way of racking losses and such. But the two products will be different. Like for instance in pyments using grapes. With juice it is good to add tannin to compliment the flavors but if you ferment on the grape skins you get all the tannin you need from the fruit.

With most melomels and wine where I just use fruit I find myself adding some earl grey tea to most batches. I feel like that rounds out the batches to include what is lost when not using whole fruit. Then again not all fruited need something like that, like apples, lemon, orange...

I have no hard scientific evidence but I think fermenting macerating fruit (allowing the fruit to standing in its own liquid) rather than simply juicing the fruit and fermenting that juice adds wonderful flavor elements to a wine. I have fermented fruit juices and fermented fruit and I think the flavor from the fruit is always far richer and more complex.

Thank You for getting back to me. I was wondering wheather I should continue in this way. Think I will do a batch of both and track the diffrences.

Thank You Again For both your replies.

I've been playing with both styles and I think both have their pros and cons. Using straight juice makes racking losses a non-issue. I've been putting frozen fruit into mesh bags and throwing them in primary which makes removal pretty easy. Fruit puree makes a real mess when it comes to racking in my experience.

Back