What is a good price for used 5lb CO2 tank

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

celticcolorado

Reaction score
I am just looking to get into kegging and am trying to buy a used 5lb CO2 tank on Craigslist. I know that the hydro date is expired on the tank and I will need to re-certify it (which goes for about $15 in my area). What is a good price, I just don't want to overpay.

I got one for free (doesn't count - was even half full), paid $40 for another one with a regulator. My gas supplier does tank exchanges and never charges or looks for certification date, but the tanks I get back are within date.

To be honest, since 90% of all CO2 places swap instead of fill...generally the same cost of a new tank or slightly less is acceptable. If you get a new shiny one, it's just gonna get swapped out for one of the ugly ones at the shop unless you can con them into filling directly, which to me -- I'm ok with an ugly tank, it just sits in my keezer hidden anyways.

The place that is in my area actually fills them, which is why I am concerned with the hydro date. He is trying to sell for $30.

The place that is in my area actually fills them, which is why I am concerned with the hydro date. He is trying to sell for $30.

Well, the hydro test is about $15. So, figure $45 then for that used tank.

You can buy a brand new one for $65. http://stores.kegconnection.com/Detail.bok?no=50

Do you already have a regulator? Because if you need a new regulator, too, you might as well spring for a new system to begin with.

It just cost me 50 to fill and recert my 20 lb tank but it had no info at all. i am told it will be 20 to fill/exchange once i need to fill again should be a long time coming though. BTW my kegging stuff should be here friday or monday comeing Fed Ex from northern brewer.

Back