What is a good price for used 5lb CO2 tank

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

celticcolorado

Reaction score
I am just looking to get into kegging and am trying to buy a used 5lb CO2 tank on Craigslist. I know that the hydro date is expired on the tank and I will need to re-certify it (which goes for about $15 in my area). What is a good price, I just don't want to overpay.

samc

Reaction score
I got one for free (doesn't count - was even half full), paid $40 for another one with a regulator. My gas supplier does tank exchanges and never charges or looks for certification date, but the tanks I get back are within date.

jezter6

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
To be honest, since 90% of all CO2 places swap instead of fill...generally the same cost of a new tank or slightly less is acceptable. If you get a new shiny one, it's just gonna get swapped out for one of the ugly ones at the shop unless you can con them into filling directly, which to me -- I'm ok with an ugly tank, it just sits in my keezer hidden anyways.

OP
OP
celticcolorado

celticcolorado

Reaction score
The place that is in my area actually fills them, which is why I am concerned with the hydro date. He is trying to sell for $30.

Yooper

Ale's What Cures You!
Staff member
Admin
Mod
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
The place that is in my area actually fills them, which is why I am concerned with the hydro date. He is trying to sell for $30.

Well, the hydro test is about $15. So, figure $45 then for that used tank.

You can buy a brand new one for $65. http://stores.kegconnection.com/Detail.bok?no=50

Do you already have a regulator? Because if you need a new regulator, too, you might as well spring for a new system to begin with.

snccoulter

Reaction score
It just cost me 50 to fill and recert my 20 lb tank but it had no info at all. i am told it will be 20 to fill/exchange once i need to fill again should be a long time coming though. BTW my kegging stuff should be here friday or monday comeing Fed Ex from northern brewer.