What if starter is small?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Burrito

Reaction score
I'm making a starter tonight but was a little short on DME. I was going to mix my standard which is 1/2 cup DME to 2 cups water. I had a little less than a half cup of DME so I used about 1.5 cup water then boiled 10 min. After the boil it does not look like very much wort.

Will it have a negative effect on my yeast if the volume is smaller? I plan on pitching it tomorrow evening.

Here it is. Haven't pitched the yeast yet. Its WLP001

1401505686369.jpg

You won't get much growth but you will get increased vitality if the yeast is at least 2 months old. What is the og of the to be beer?

Sounds like your volume is way too small to begin with. It will be fine though but note perfect.

Thanks Shooter. That's pretty much what I figured. Yeast is in there now anyways so here we go

I've made starters that didn't meet up to the supposed cell requirements and have still met or surpassed my intended FG. Granted I only have 10 beers of experience, but so far the only difference I've seen when using a starter is that fermentation is more aggressive....I haven't fallen short of my FG with or without a starter.

No problem with that sized starter for a 1.056 beer. It isn't ideal but still superior to no starter.

There is a graph in 'the' yeast book that shows how having starters that small pretty much result in zero growth.

But it will probably at least wake the yeast up.

Cell growth is directly proportional to the amount of extract used, so if you used 25% less DME expect 25% lest cell growth.

The size is of little consequence. I have had 10ml test tubes that ferment the same as 5 gallon buckets.

Back