What if I used two yeasts?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IndyBlueprints

Reaction score
Because of rules of a certain contest, I am forced to use Saflager S-23 in an IPA I'm making. The best I can do is to ferment it at about 70ºF ambient temp. What would happen if after I added the S-23, I also added WLP 051 California Ale V?

Whichever yeast gets access to the most resources and is most fit will win out. Look into a swamp cooler and you can likely get you fermentation down in the mid 60's with a little effort. S-23 will probably still throw some esters in the 60's

If this is an IPL (India Pale Lager) competition, then you want to figure out a way to ferment at lager yeast temps, around 50F. Otherwise, I don't think I would enter the competition.

If this is an IPL (India Pale Lager) competition, then you want to figure out a way to ferment at lager yeast temps, around 50F. Otherwise, I don't think I would enter the competition.
It's actually a competition with our brew club. We each rolled five twenty-sided dice, which picked our ingredients, and we have to use the ingredients we rolled, and make whatever type of beer we want/can out of it. All beers will be graded in the same category. It's not about making a beer to style, but making a good beer. Here's the details:

http://www.circlecityzymurgy.com/events/mash-of-wonder-homebrew-competition/

One of my best beers came from an accident. I had cultivated Conan from a couple heady topper cans, but somewhere along the line, I got some wild yeast or lactobacillus in it. As I was pouring into wort, I noticed a sour-like aroma. Quickly, I stopped pouring and grabbed a starter of inis006 and poured it in. Couple weeks later, I had a nice, juicy and sweet NE IPA. Looking back on it, I wish I aged some of it in secondary, but it was too good to pass up.

I'd say, as long as you're group is ok with adding misc. ingredients, may as well try couple different strains.

Nice CCZ Mash of Wonders on HBT. My rolls weren't as good at yours. (Ben) I think you would be fine pitching another yeast. On an interesting note, I have been brewing my local pilsners with Saflager 34/70 at 72F. They have been coming out clean. I read Brulosophy xBmts. He has a couple on there about fermenting lagers above their traditional temperatures ranges.
http://brulosophy.com/2016/04/18/fe...ager-yeast-saflager-3470-exbeeriment-results/

Good luck and can't wait to try your brew!

That game / contest sounds like it's incredibly fun. Kinda makes me want to join a club. It would be awesome as an app. Random brew app. to generate your ingredients. Kinda like a brewing slot machine. You never know what you will get. Hehe

Back