What if I pitch two strains

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swem

Reaction score
I'm wondering what would happen if I pitched two different yeasts at the same time. For instance a Belgian and a cal ale yeast? Would it pick up properties of both, mutate, or one out compete the other and cause it to maybe drop out early?

Try it and see what happens. That's the fun of home brewing. My guess is that one of the yeasts will out compete the other. If both yeasts have similar growth patterns then maybe you will get a mix of the two.

I brewed a Farmhouse Saison and used WLP568 and Wyeast 3711.

This was a 5 gallon batch and the fermentation was done in 5 days which makes me think that Wyeast 3711 was dominant. Both of the yeast were Saison yeasts so I could not tell by flavor which one dominated.

I figured if anything, I could impress my friends by telling them I used multiple stains of yeast in my beer.

You can. White Labs does some yeast blends (like WLP060).

Pick two strains that have similar optimal fermentation ranges. I'd not want to combine Cali ale and Belgian since I ferment those two using different stepped-up temp profiles.

Big floyd is right.

You can do it but definitely pick two yeasts that have similar temp requirements.

I do a Belgian Tripel using two different yeasts that is great. I used 1214 and 3787. The first time II just pitched a small starter of each. Since the 1214 is known for being a slow starter the flavor of the 3787 dominated the brew. You could still taste the 1214 but not much. The next time I did it I made a small starter for the 1214 to get it going quicker and just pitched the smack pack of 3787. I liked the results of this one better. The two yeasts both contributed to the flavor.

It is fun to experiment. So go for it.

Thanks guys, and youre right, my example didnt make any sense, clearly you would want to use yeasts with similar temp ranges.

Latest posts

Back