What if I omit the Munich from dark beers?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sir-Hops-A-Lot

Reaction score
Hey guys,
A lot of the dark recipes have Munich (1-2#). I know that I can use a partial mash and I do all grain as well. What if I just skip the Munich from a porter or stout? Will leaving it out change the taste much?
I am currently brewing the Black Widow Porter from Classic Styles. It involves 12.75# 2 row, 1.5# Munich, 1# Crystal 45, .75# Choc, and .5# black.
thanks
SHAL

A dark beer does not have to have Munich. i would guess most don't.

Leaving it out will change the flavor, but many dark beers are dominated by the dark grains, that you may not notice much difference if you leave it out.

It will taste less awesome. Munich is a fantastic malt, why would you deprive yourself of it?

For real though, I've attempted a couple stouts and never saw munich as an ingredient in the recipes I found. If you want to substitute DME or 2-row for it, it shouldn't be a big deal.

So if you brew a porter with or without the pound or so of Munich it will or won't taste much different?
I just brewed Black Widow Porter but I'm recommending it to someone who only does extract and he only has the extra light stuff. So the real question is, how noticeable would the absence of 1.5# of Munich be?

Back