What IA beers to try?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

connord

Reaction score
I'll be in Des Moines the first week of September and hitting El Bait Shoppe and was wondering what Iowa brewed beers is should try.

John's Generations White Ale by Millstream - Very good beer
Iowa Pale Ale by Millstream - a good nothing special IPA
Hefe "R" weissen by Millstream - not that big into Heffs so anybodys guess but I liked it

Pastime Pale Ale by Madhouse - good easy drinker
Hub City makes some good beers but have not had any in awhile I think they had some QC problems in the past as I have had some bad bottles but I remember the good ones being good.

I also have a soft spot for Off Kilter Scottish Ale by Olde Main - I like the beer but it might have something to do with the label too.

That's all I can come up with off the top of my head. Enjoy Iowa

Ive found that most iowa beers are pretty mediocre.Although i would do a search on some of them locally in that area.There is one ive been wanting to try in that area that i dont have access to I think its called Peacetree brewing or something,never tried them.Millstream and Great River/ Olde main are decent. I am a new fan to Potosi brewing which actually bordering ia and is in wisconsin, i was pretty impressed with most of their beer, i might have to make a road trip and try their pumpkin ale on tap this fall.Cave malt and Snake Hollow ipa are real good.

I walked over to the Raccoon River brewery when I was there, and it was mediocre at best - both the food and the beer.

Spent every night at el Bait Shop. If you can get there on a Thursday they have 'Jimmy Carter Happy Hour' and a local homebrewer or two bring in beer for everyone to try.

B

Thanks for the input. I'll have to try to make it to El Bait Shop on Thursday, that sounds great.

Dont miss peacetree. great river is pretty nice as well. IMHO hub city and old main suffer consistancy problems. I think Rock Bottom has some spot on beers as well. Cort ave. Brewing makes a solid beer, but imho still appeals to the masses. As for other restaraunts, i would suggest Mullets(sweet potato tots), Fongs Pizza(honey garlic), High Life Lounge(bacon tots, mac and cheese).

Chances are I (and half the local Hombrew club) will be there on any given thursday.

Peace Tree is pretty good. I find Hub City brews to be very inconsistent even within the same six pack. Millstream is OK for Iowa but that may be because we don't have much here. There is a LHBS called Beer Crazy on the west side of DSM (just a few miles south of hwy 80). They have a pretty wide selection of beers to choose from as well as brewing supplies. I wish they were not 100+ miles away. The staff is great at helping choose beers to try.

John's Generations White Ale by Millstream - Very good beer
Iowa Pale Ale by Millstream - a good nothing special IPA
Hefe "R" weissen by Millstream - not that big into Heffs so anybodys guess but I liked it

I would second the Millstream, My friend went on a trip to eastern Iowa and brought me back a sixxer of each of their beers, they were all enjoyable, some more then others. i have had a few other Iowa beers and nothing has really stuck out.

I would try some of the local homebrewers if given that chance.I like millstreams pale ale when fresh, i tried it again on tap and thought it was a wheat they had given me, they actually gave me another thinking it was the new waitress pouring me a wheat wich turns out was wrong and i found out they do make it with wheat, so i dont feel like such a ******* afterall after spotting this out.I actually felt like i knew what i was talking about thanks to this forum and brewing,i know what to look for.Tap beer is hit or miss, if you get it fresh your stoked when you get it stale or bad keg/tube cleaning its unfortunate for you when its not the brewers fault.Same with storing or shipping.Realisticly i wish i could try all my favorite beers right at the brewery,just a dream!Until then i still can make good beer and seek out good beer to inspire me. Im finding out alot lately that if you just age your beer you think is ok,it will just turn out great ,i felt disapointed within a month of bottleing sometimes but if you give it a month or two more your in heaven! Im drinking my 4th of july beer that should have been ready then, well its ready now in august finally!Firecracker red from homebrewers recipe guide. And i thought it was the red hots, or maybe the fact i used whole grain torrefied wheat that made it harsh at first,not anymore its a fantastic cinimony red.

looks like most of the iowans have chimed in with lots of recommendations. i agree that peacetree and great river are the two best in Iowa. the rest aren't worth spending money on IMHO.

I would second the Millstream, My friend went on a trip to eastern Iowa and brought me back a sixxer of each of their beers, they were all enjoyable, some more then others. i have had a few other Iowa beers and nothing has really stuck out.

Their hop2 was a real weird ipa,good unique and just a strange tasting ipa.I would try that again infact i think i need to this weekend just to remember how weird of an ipa it was.If you ever tried a lakefront mokey wheat thats what weird is . Unless i just got an off- bottle.Ive really been wanting to try the sun rye dopplebock it got good reveiws.So did the 25 anniversery dopplebock.

Peacetree brews are pretty tasty. Hopwrangler and red rambler hands down over any other IA beer.

+1. Hop Wrangler is pure awesome. They have a nice taproom as well, and are not that far from Des Moines, about a 35 min drive depending on where you are.

Peace Tree Brewing Co
107 West Main Street
Knoxville, IA 50138

Millstream would be my first choice especially if you like lagers, Peacetree has some good stuff to.

I'll be in Des Moines the first week of September and hitting El Bait Shoppe and was wondering what Iowa brewed beers is should try.

While in Des Moines, you also have to go to the Royal Mile, its an awesome English Bar, and to make it even better upstairs attached to it is the Red Monk, an excellent Belgian Bar.

Thanks for all the replies. I may have a chance to spend a lots of time drinking IA beers. On a lark I applied for a job in Ankeny, and I have 2 interviews at the same company while I'm in town.

Hop Wrangler and Rye Porter from Peachtree. Great beers and great packaging for reusing for homebrew!

Those two are superior to anything I've had Iowa-based.

great river hopapotimus is stellar and the redband stout is good. peacetree blonde fatale is a straight panty dropper!

Back