What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did a rare thing today.

I rocketed past the 1.030's, barely noticed the 1.040s, and paid a whole bunch of attention to the rapidly escalating 1.050s as they ticked past on the refractometer. Eventually I topped out at 1.062 with a full 6gal into the fermenter and a bit left in the kettle.

It was a fun day in the brewery.

FWIW, I think the previous owner used a lot of building materials he bartered for, so he probably was able to get carpet but not linoleum. He was a logger who built the house from trees on the property, which were milled at the sawmill across the road). Seems like he could have done tongue and groove wood flooring, but maybe the processing for that is complicated.

People who install carpet in kitchens need to have their heads examined. On a similar note, I also seriously question the US habit of wearing shoes inside a house….

Did some bottling today. Needed some for a trade with a friend.
A8F83531-1D26-4664-9E71-4EE3C7406FFE.jpeg
1A04C904-3588-4F19-8C65-56ED71AE17D1.jpeg

Busy brew weekend. Friday: brewed up the new batch of schwarzbier that was a bit delayed. Saturday: did all the usual prep for the next batch. Sunday: brewed my gruit-stout, dumped the last of a couple bad batches of weizenbock and schwarzbier, the cleaned the (leaky) keg and line the schwarzbier was in.

Installed a sight glass on my Brewzilla.
Washed the empty keg from last nights soiree :)
Yeah, it hurts a little this morning.
Which sightglass is that and are you content with it? I know more beer carries a couple of them and I alsosaw someone make one using silicone tubing?
That's something I need too, for my brewzilla but want to see which is the best option out there

I brewed yesterday, took a hydrometer reading before cleaning up. Then this morning I realized I forgot to put the "Pill" in the fermenter. So this morning I sanitized it released the pressure on fermenter and dropped it in, OG was 1.062 this morning was already 1.040. You'd think as much trouble I went through to get the Pill in the US I'd remember to use it.
I also practiced with my Nukatap counter pressure bottle filler. I say practiced because it's hard to perform that operation without overflow, waste and mess. Hate wasting good beer.

Finally got to test out the new Brew Hood. Buddy came over to do some learning. Made an American Honey Wheat from extract and local alfalfa honey. The hood performed beautifully. Kind of proud of this one.

Attachments

• PXL_20220317_221541899.MP.jpg
    PXL_20220317_221541899.MP.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 23
  • PXL_20220317_204944814.MP.jpg
    PXL_20220317_204944814.MP.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 23
  • PXL_20220319_172822011.MP.jpg
    PXL_20220319_172822011.MP.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 23
Which sightglass is that and are you content with it? I know more beer carries a couple of them and I alsosaw someone make one using silicone tubing?
That's something I need too, for my brewzilla but want to see which is the best option out there
I just bought the kit from Kegland KL17114

Attachments

• 75EEA55E-3092-446D-B22B-B5031EE13C24.png
    75EEA55E-3092-446D-B22B-B5031EE13C24.png
    815.5 KB · Views: 12
Brewed a batch of lager. The aquarium chiller conversion seems to be doing well. Hope the pump doesn’t go out. Might need to improve on that bit. Takes quite a while to get down to temp but it’s doing ok at 12c. Should probably insulate the pipes out ot the fermenter.

Attachments

• 5BE26FAE-7F18-4A3C-9C4F-6EE9C236E4AB.jpeg
    5BE26FAE-7F18-4A3C-9C4F-6EE9C236E4AB.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 13
Dumped the trub jars on both my Catalysts. I also found a kegerator on Craigslist for $100 with the CO2 bottle. I cleaned it up pretty good. If it holds a good cool temperature, I’ll convert it from a single tap to a dual tap, replace lines, etc. Worst case scenario is I got a full CO2 bottle out of it. I already have a dual tap kegerator, but you can’t have too many, right? 😁View attachment 763412View attachment 763413

well you need at least one for every room!

Put my Munich Dunkel Lite into a Keg.

to spell it like that you have to use corn though? work on the recipe and TM, "De-emphasized" (that's what people hope for their waist line, works for me! ;))

Half-brewed a Munich Helles. Mashed and filled the kettle as usual. Heated wort to 200* and meanwhile cleaned the mash kettle.

Turned off the BoilCoil once the wort reached temp and covered the kettle. Will do the boil early tomorrow morning.

Had a window of time from 3-6pm today and no virtual meetings til 10am tomorrow. Gotta shoehorn the brew “days” in sometimes

Last edited:
So today, I got my swamp cooler going after getting this batch of gose into the fermenter yesterday. After three days of souring, the smell of the wort wasn't great but it tasted (oh so) tart, but not in a bad way. Brewing this up as a college graduation beer for my daughter.

Stirred and pitched a batch of mead this morning. Received a new keg and it’s good cause I need to either drink more beer or give more away. Drank three coffee cups o cider. Checked in on my aquarium chiller lager. It’s all good!

Xmas mead
2 liters tree top AJ
3 lbs honey.
2 liters water
3 tsp yeast nutrient
1/2 tsp Ascorbic acid.
Clove cinnamon ginger 1 star anise and .1 ounces orange peel.
EC-1118 10 grams
SG 1.13
See you in December.
Made a 5 liter batch of root beer for the kids.

Last edited:
A spot opened up in the kegerator yesterday so today I kegged the 2.5 gal batch of Blonde 2.0 which was brewed about 3 weeks ago. Blonde Ale is one of my house beers but I have 3 different recipes. This one is pretty much the HB ale equivalent of a Busch Light. I’ve had mostly dark beers on tap since the first of the year so it was time for something else.
C44BB8A3-DE50-43D9-A5F6-D5C95709B08A.jpeg

I’m in the middle of my inaugural Brewzilla batch today, refractometer is at 1.043 preboil (target was 1.047, according to Brewfather app), oh well…

Brewing a blue moon clone, I’m calling “Full Moon’n” at the fiancée’s request. She actually talked me into getting the Brewzilla, so she got to call the first beer. She may have made a mistake in letting me get it, but I’ll take what I can get.

So far everything has gone as smooth as possible, except for realizing I forgot the flaked oats 15m into the mash. Just made it an 80m mash.

Wish I had got one of these before my 3 vessel cooler setup, that thing was a headache (probably user error)

8C4DA68D-FAA9-46F0-8603-AB81906ACDCA.jpeg

Had a busy day in my hooptie brewery.

1) It started last night with a further plunge down the LODO rabbit hole with the unleashing of yeast oxygen scavenging on this morning's strike and sparge water. I peered into HLT this morning and said, "Ooooooh, boy." It was not a pretty sight, but I'm told it doesn't matter. The LODO boys haven't done me dirty yet, so I'm trusting in the process. Time will tell.

2) Brewed another batch of Panther Piss Classic III (LODO). Easy brew day, but overshot my numbers--an interesting effect that I've noticed on my LODO brews.

3) Kegged a NW APA/IPA into the dry hops keg, then kegged a German Pils to free up the fermenter for the Panther Piss.

4) Since I fired my kettle at 4.30am, I've spent a relaxing afternoon deep cleaning my vessels and tearing down my ball valves. That's not a task that I relish, but 4L of tasty green beer has made the task quite fun.

Finalizing a batch. I keep going back and forth on a few ingredients but think I’ll go with this.
Feedback is appreciated

Private Idaho
9.2 lbs Great Western Pure Idaho
1.1 lbs Corn
1.1 lbs Flaked wheat
gypsum for body.
Mash in @124 and mix. Raise temp to 152 for 45 mins. Ramp to 168 and rest for 15 mins. Sparge 178.
6.5 gallons wort.
Boil 60 minutes
.1 oz YCH Idaho-7 @ 60
.5 oz Idaho @ 10, Yeast nutrient 7 tsp, 1 whirflock, 1 oz orange peel, .5 oz coriander seeds .
1.5 oz Idaho at flameout for 10 mins.
Kveik at 90 for X days.

Last edited:
Back