What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
smoked Porter went on gas.

sounds way more exciting, and tastier, then my new vittles vault 50lb'r i stuck in the fridge to get ready for kegging tomorrow. it just had a barely brown ale in it....

but the heavy handed, dose of 2016 hops should interesting.....

Gelatin injection on my 3/14/21 Oktoberfest, 1.068 using W34/70.View attachment 729882

First glance I thought you had built some type of LED display into a corny keg lid…

On topic though, I dropped my day 10 dry hop bag I prepped about 5 days ago with a magnet.

Toasted some coconut flakes to add into secondary for my tropical stout. I'm doing 8oz toasted and 8 oz raw to attempt to get the flavor compounds from both!
PXL_20210530_232329476.jpg

Transferred the Crabapple Lambic Wheat Wine base onto the crabapples and house sour culture for the 12 Beers of Christmas. It was over 10%, bready, lemony, lightly bitter, like a light barley wine. The room temp sample was…not what I should be having for breakfast!

Making a DIPA, still trying to sort out the efficiencies on the new equipment. Tried Dip-Hopping for the first time, since I have not been happy with my whirlpool results so far. Hoping for a nice, bitter, citrusy beer-11oz. of hops including nugget, chinook, centennial, mosaic, and citra.
EC6D08EE-063E-404B-A88F-364FA49D7B30.jpeg

Bottled my split batch APA over the last 2 evenings: WLP001 Cal Ale yeast vs. WLP007 Dry English Ale yeast.
Will look forward to a side-by-side taste test in ~3 weeks.
Cheers.

Finally reporting back as to the results of my split batch: American Pale Ale ... 91% 2-row, 9% crystal 40, Magnum to bitter, Cascade late in the boil and at flameout. No dry hop. Split coming out of the kettle into 2 fermenters: one with WLP001 Cal Ale and one with WLP007 Dry English Ale

I was able to tell them apart but it was more difficult than I expected, particularly if you have an assistant prep the samples for you and you have no idea what's coming. I was sort of expecting 2 very different beers, but that was not the case.

The WLP001 had a slightly more floral aroma ... a little bit easier to detect the cascade. The WLP007 aroma was very pleasant as well, with just a tick less floral.
Taste: the Cascade was accentuated slightly more by the WLP001, but not by as much as I expected. I was expecting the WLP007 to be "fruitier", and I really didn't get that vibe. The bitterness was very similar. The WLP001 may have given a slightly sharper perception of bitterness, but man, not by much. The more I drank, the closer together they became; the first swig was the most revealing.

My neighbor tried them both and thought the WLP007 was "smoother" (his words). Wifey tried them, and though she's not a huge beer girl, she preferred the WLP007, because the WLP001 was "greener."

All that being said, I think I preferred the WLP001, but both were very drinkable. And in the absence of one another it would be harder still; if you gave me just 1 without telling me which one I was trying, I'm not convinced I could successfully tell you which one you gave me. All in all a fun and revealing experiment.

Brew day. Galaxy pale ale using @Dgallo base pale ale recipe. I enjoyed the other two brews with it so much that I figured I may as well stick with something that I know works. If it ain't broke, right? Forgot my whirlfloc this time around though...D'oh.

Now waiting for the sun to get lower so I can go out and water the garden and new trees with my chilling water.

Oxy-cleaned and scrubbed 62 12 oz bottles in prep for tomorrow's bottling of the WITBAG. Later tonight, into the bleach bath they go!

ETA: my bottles sleep with the fishes tonight.

EATA: bottles flushed and ready to go, bottling bucket, transfer hose, and bottling wand sanitizing, and priming sugar boiled and cooled. almost time to bottle.

EAATA: bottles filled. sludge claimed more than I expected, so I only got 53 bottles out of the batch. 4.97 gallons. this batch will have a pronounced orange finish, so next time, I'm using only half an ounce.

Last edited:
20210611_122313.jpg
Dumped about 1.5 gal Brittish Golden, pushing on 4.5 months! Time to go! Cleaned the kicked kegs, beer lines and kegerator. Most I've done in a month since my heart attack. Hoping this weekend to FINALLY brew my Doppelbock and Czech Premium even if the wife won't let me drink much of it 😳😕. Good to be semi back in the brewing world!!!
20210611_121653.jpg

Attachments

• 16234285430172098781946717660514.jpg
    16234285430172098781946717660514.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 3
View attachment 731956Dumped about 1.5 gal Brittish Golden, pushing on 4.5 months! Time to go! Cleaned the kicked kegs, beer lines and kegerator. Most I've done in a month since my heart attack. Hoping this weekend to FINALLY brew my Doppelbock and Czech Premium even if the wife won't let me drink much of it 😳😕. Good to be semi back in the brewing world!!!View attachment 731957
Glad you are recovering.

Most I've done in a month since my heart attack.
Good to be semi back in the brewing world!!!

wasn't quite sure how to react to those statements so close together... but glad it was a temporary suspension from the game!

i've got two full kegs, and two that probably only have 2-3 pours left in them....nothing in the fermentor, and 30-40 minutes, do i brew today or tomorrow?

well i like your open door answer! but it's going to be tomorrow. i have a more fun project making WTF, that i haven't mastered yet (synthizing the esters produced during fermentation, to compliment my drinking. yeah they give me a hang-over, but make drinking so much better! ;))...so better then boring brew day, which i know will be alcoholic, if not 'award winning'....

View attachment 731956Dumped about 1.5 gal Brittish Golden, pushing on 4.5 months! Time to go! Cleaned the kicked kegs, beer lines and kegerator. Most I've done in a month since my heart attack. Hoping this weekend to FINALLY brew my Doppelbock and Czech Premium even if the wife won't let me drink much of it 😳😕. Good to be semi back in the brewing world!!!View attachment 731957

Take care of yourself man get good and healed up then proceed to brew some good beer and take a gander at M31 and ponder life a bit 👍.

Teed up my next five brews with an order of hops from Yakima Valley. Started a German Lager yeast for brewing Sunday.

Mostly a hop order with some water and yeast additions but I had 3 lbs of Carahells in there and some brewery line cleaner. Shipping came in at $40+ and I figured take the BLC out maybe it was special cost or too heavy. That did the trick and I got a medium flat rate box.

Glad you're on the mend. Brewing is great cardiac rehab, just don't over do it.

Up at this early hour to brew up a batch of the house lager. Vacation was absolutely amazing, had a lot of great beers along the way and picked up many more stickers for the ferment fridge. As luck would have it, the day we were in Ennis, MT, there was a beer/wine/spirit festival (very small) going on, that my cousin was working; not a lot of selection but what there was, was quite yummy. Got the "cousin hookup" (as her husband called it) with lots of free tokens for full pints. A great time was had by all, although we could have done without being woken up at 2:30am our first night in Vegas by hotel security yelling FIRE GET OUT!! Was a small one down in the basement but scary nonetheless.

Back