What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brewed a rye IPA today. Hit all my target levels so I'm happy.
Trying pressure fermentation for the first time, then will xfer straight into the keg.
IMG_20210415_135136.jpg

Just sampled test bottle #2 of my Against the Grain APA BIAB, two weeks in the bottle. Flavors are coming along nicely, with a slightly sweet start and a slightly bitter, slightly grainy finish. Carbonation is disappointing me (again), third batch I've made using Starsan to sanitize bottle caps, tubing connections, and implements of disturbance. Appearance-wise, it's super clear (at room temperature) and a nice golden yellow.

In case you're curious, that batch was primed with just over 3/4 cup of corn sugar boiled in 4 quarts of water, bringing total volume bottled to 4.5 gallons.

Yes, I know that's a lot of priming water, but it's still the same amount of sugar I'd put in a two-cup priming dose, and I wanted to bring up the total volume to a decent yield. I calculated the dilution would reduce ABV from 8 to 6.5%, and it clearly didn't affect the flavor -- I was careful to move the priming solution quietly to the bottling bucket after a vigorous boil for 15 minutes.

Next batch, no Starsan, and I'll see for myself if it's stunting my carbonation.

Just sampled test bottle #2 of my Against the Grain APA BIAB, two weeks in the bottle. Flavors are coming along nicely, with a slightly sweet start and a slightly bitter, slightly grainy finish. Carbonation is disappointing me (again), third batch I've made using Starsan to sanitize bottle caps, tubing connections, and implements of disturbance. Appearance-wise, it's super clear (at room temperature) and a nice golden yellow.

In case you're curious, that batch was primed with just over 3/4 cup of corn sugar boiled in 4 quarts of water, bringing total volume bottled to 4.5 gallons.

Yes, I know that's a lot of priming water, but it's still the same amount of sugar I'd put in a two-cup priming dose, and I wanted to bring up the total volume to a decent yield. I calculated the dilution would reduce ABV from 8 to 6.5%, and it clearly didn't affect the flavor -- I was careful to move the priming solution quietly to the bottling bucket after a vigorous boil for 15 minutes.

Next batch, no Starsan, and I'll see for myself if it's stunting my carbonation.
I dont think I would skip the starsan step without using some other kind of sanitizer. The small amount of starsan left in the bottles should not be a problem. Do you cold crash and fine your beer prior to bottling and how many days of fermentation prior to bottling?

In your previous batches did you have a mix of bottles that some had good carbonation and some that that did not? If you get inconsistent bottles maybe try dosing the bottles and filling on top.

I have doing a plastic bottle along with my glass ones lately and give it a squeeze test to check progress. If your bottles are stores on the cool side it may take more than two weeks to get full carbonation.

Absolutely gobsmacked by the good wishes for a speedy recovery, I am truly grateful and humbled. Thanks to all of you! Fever is down today, headache comes and goes, and husband got the fixins for some comfort food for dinner (that yes I will cook, it's an easy one); macaroni shells with some homemade beer cheese sauce, made with my own current IPA. And bacon!! Yeah, I know, not real healthy, but it will be warm and filling, with lots of leftovers. Since this started with nausea and *ahem* other down under issues, I haven't been really hungry, but this sounds good. Also cheese is good for, well, "binding up" those other down under issues that I'm too much of a lady (HAH!!!) to admit. Got lots of rest today in between answering emails and phone calls from work, nothing too demanding as my supervisor has really come through with helping.

@seatazzz, take care of yourself and hang in there. We’re pretty lucky as where we live, most of the time, we’re pretty much quarantined by default. Our nearest neighbor, in any direction, is over 2 miles away. Just repeat the mantra “beer will get me through, beer will get me through...” 👍
Amen to that Grandpa!!! Man you got it made. I grew up fringe rural. I wish my closest neighbors were 2 miles away! My wife would fade away though. I'm country, she's big city lights. People often call us Green Acres ! 😂

my supervisor has really come through with helping.

That's good to hear, it sounds like you have a good Sup. I'm sure you're aware of this, but it's worth mentioning that there is legislation on the books that covers Rona-related absences. Get a positive test, a (this really pisses me off...you already have the bloody test result and you're sick as a dog) a doctor's note (if you have a TELEDOC program, use it!), and you will qualify for paid sick leave. You don't have to burn your PTO if you have The Rona, ask for excused time off and HR will make certain that you receive a whole paycheck via the Federal Government.

I'd like to say more, but it's best if you speak with your HR staff, they're required, by law, to give you everything you need to see that you're made whole when all is said and done.

Most importantly, I'm glad to hear you're turning the corner.

Last edited:
Um, does this mean you added dip to a beer or you are packing hops between your cheek and gum?

1618619910780.jpeg

This is how I eat breakfast each morning. Jacket akimbo, silk napkin suggesting more, so much filthy more. Do you think a man like this would settle for common defilements such as oral tobacco use? Ha! I could tell you stories...such amazing stories. My old friend, Bob Ross, he had such amazing pillow talk...but you folk, you're always in such a rush. I miss Bob.

It's a new way to whirlpool hops that the Japanese figured out. Read the current issue of BYO to learn more. The quick and dirty virsion: Dump some hops in your empty fermenter, add either hot wort or hot water at around 170 (no body knows the ideal temperature yet, and, like whirlpooling, no body will likely ever know; also, nobody knows if wort or water is better--it's early days) and wait some number of minutes, then rack onto the disaster in the cone of your fermenter. Good things will happen, they say.

This is how I did it.

OG: 1.050
FG: Don't know yet, it'll be 1.009-ish
IBU: Not the foggiest
SRM: Fizzy and yellow

70% German Pils
20% Corn
10% Rice

90min: A token amount of magnum to keep the beer from being a Foppish Dandy.

20min: The most amount of Liberty hops you can squeeze in here.

10min: Your key hops charge, put a lot of Liberty hops here.

DIP HOP: 2oz of Liberty hops. Prior to flame out, run off about .25 of a gallon into a pasta pot. Let it sit for a few minutes while you discover that your perfectly prepared clean, yeast-free, fermenter is missing a stopper. Find it. At this point your wort in the pasta pot should be about 170F. Now dump your hops into the fermenter, followed by the wort you reserved from the kettle. Magic will happen, they say. Close your fermenter right away because the magic pixie dust only happens when you're not looking.

Finish the boil, then run off, as normal, into the fermenter.

I have no idea what it'll taste like in the glass, but I'm told it's amazing.

I've been told that before.

Last edited:
Brewed a kolsch yeasterday, trying the dry koln yeast and today it seems to be doing nothing like expected. I bought the yeast on impulse a while back before reading the thread about it here on HBT. The reviews were mixed here but might not have bought the yeast if I read the threads first.

My Northern Discovery Golden I brewed a few days back also did nothing for 36hrs but not as expected so I broke out some US-05 and got it working. Not sure if the WLP029 final got working when I added the US-05 but the beer fermented out in less than 2 days which is faster than both yeasts normally work for me. So even with the slow star I am back on schedule.

I think something is up with my beers moving slow lately, my marzen is still chugging along slowly too, maybe a day or two away from kegging. I saved some of the wort and will use it to natural carb the beer in the keg.

View attachment 726050

This is how I eat breakfast each morning. Jacket akimbo, silk napkin suggesting more, so much filthy more. Do you think a man like this would settle for common defilements such as oral tobacco use? Ha! I could tell you stories...such amazing stories. My old friend, Bob Ross, he had such amazing pillow talk...but you folk, you're always in such a rush. I miss Bob.

It's a new way to whirlpool hops that the Japanese figured out. Read the current issue of BYO to learn more. The quick and dirty virsion: Dump some hops in your empty fermenter, add either hot wort or hot water at around 170 (no body knows the ideal temperature yet, and, like whirlpooling, no body will likely ever know; also, nobody knows if wort or water is better--it's early days) and wait some number of minutes, then rack onto the disaster in the cone of your fermenter. Good things will happen, they say.

This is how I did it.

OG: 1.050
FG: Don't know yet, it'll be 1.009-ish
IBU: Not the foggiest
SRM: Fizzy and yellow

70% German Pils
20% Corn
10% Rice

90min: A token amount of magnum to keep the beer from being a Foppish Dandy.

20min: The most amount of Liberty hops you can squeeze in here.

10min: Your key hops charge, put a lot of Liberty hops here.

DIP HOP: 2oz of Liberty hops. Prior to flame out, run off about .25 of a gallon into a pasta pot. Let it sit for a few minutes while you discover that your perfectly prepared clean, yeast-free, fermenter is missing a stopper. Find it. At this point your wort in the pasta pot should be about 170F. Now dump your hops into the fermenter, followed by the wort you reserved from the kettle. Magic will happen, they say. Close your fermenter right away because the magic pixie dust only happens when you're not looking.

Finish the boil, then run off, as normal, into the fermenter.

I have no idea what it'll taste like in the glass, but I'm told it's amazing.

I've been told that before.
Got bless my friend

Bottled my split batch APA over the last 2 evenings: WLP001 Cal Ale yeast vs. WLP007 Dry English Ale yeast.

The WLP001 beer finished at 1.010 and the WLP007 beer finished at 1.012 (both started at 1.053). Confession: I measured FG after mixing with priming sugar solution. Oops. But I did so on both batches so I'm, you know, consistent 😳.

The WLP007 flocced hard; the yeast bed was tight and the beer came out of the fermenter super clear.
The WLP001 beer had a looser yeast bed and the beer came out of the fermenter much cloudier ... though after just a day in the bottle it is settling nicely.

Will look forward to a side-by-side taste test in ~3 weeks.
Cheers.

I kegged my altbier today. It was my first time using the floating dip tube filter for my Fermzilla. Damn impressed. I was able to drain pretty much all the beer off the trub and it ran clear the whole time. Previously I would either have to leave a lot more beer behind in the fermenter or would be sucking a decent amount of crap in towards the end.

Bottled up an Irish Stout and a Belgian Tripel I brewed up a couple weeks ago. Both tasted good pre-carbing/bottle conditioning. Tried my first crack at a Blue Moon clone and it was a bit orange forward. It’s only been two weeks so I’m hoping it evens out with time.

How much orange did you use? Just asking because I'm getting ready to brew a blue moon clone as well.

Used my (new-to-me) SS Brewtech keg washer today for the first time; had a lot of kegs and carboys that needed cleaning. Kegged the Apricot Saison; after 7 months it is finally starting to get a little tart, I like it! Bottled 1 gallon of Jalapeño Ale for grandma. Kegged the Blackberry Cider; it's chilling and on gas. Moved the port from the barrel to a carboy to prepare for bottling. Moved the new red wine batch into the barrel.
IMG_9898.JPG

Tasted the 1-year old, 15%, oaked mead; it finally doesn't taste like toothpaste. I should bottle this soon.
IMG_9899.JPG

I kegged my altbier today. It was my first time using the floating dip tube filter for my Fermzilla. Damn impressed. I was able to drain pretty much all the beer off the trub and it ran clear the whole time. Previously I would either have to leave a lot more beer behind in the fermenter or would be sucking a decent amount of crap in towards the end.
I have one too with the floating dip tube! it's awesome especially for ipas. I got the spunding valve attachment too, and that thing is great!

I have two floating dip tubes. Good stuff. I spund in the keg as well.

@aharri1 what spunding valve attachment do you have? I've kinda given up on the attachment. Just prime the keg and use the blow off valve if it is too foamy.

I cleaned some kegs, filled a keg with a half batch of mild, and brewed 6 gallons of an oatmeal dry stout tonight. And started another half pint of vinegar from a cyser I need to apple jack and bottle.

I have two floating dip tubes. Good stuff. I spund in the keg as well.

@aharri1 what spunding valve attachment do you have? I've kinda given up on the attachment. Just prime the keg and use the blow off valve if it is too foamy.

I cleaned some kegs, filled a keg with a half batch of mild, and brewed 6 gallons of an oatmeal dry stout tonight. And started another half pint of vinegar from a cyser I need to apple jack and bottle.
I have two myself LOL. I use one in case I have a crazy hoppy beer in the keg and one for the fermzilla. I have the blow tie one from keg land with the PSI gauge attachment, and it was $35. I've had good results with it. I just set ot between 5 and 7 PSI so it carbs the beer up a little bit and keep aromatics in. Then, I set it on the co2 input of my keg when I do a closed transfer and set my psi to 10 on my regulator when transferring.

With my new equipment, I am planning a stationary 3V system. Today I did a dry run of moving hoses around, looking for where to put the pump and the plate chiller, etc. I want to pose some questions to the community, so if you can help me with a 3-vessel system, pump placement, etc. check this thread here, please.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/threads/3v-induction-system.691878/

Brewed my first BIAB (Dry Irish Stout) in the Bayou Classic 8-gallon kettle using my new Avantco IC3500 240 VAC induction plate. Worked great, too. A good strong rolling boil, thus had to back off to 2300 watts. Met target gravity 1.042 after 60 minute mash at 153F and a 60 minute boil. A few minor issues noted for speeding up the process for next time when doing a dunk sparge, but overall nothing to complain about. The aroma of all-grain brewing is fantastic!

Two more days till end of quarantine, so cleaned the heck out of the garage/brewery, with many rest breaks. Also just gave the husband his monthly haircut, I'm getting good at that. I'll more than likely be working both days this weekend, so I planned an easy brewday tomorrow with a lemon drop blonde. Need to build the pipeline back up.

Two more days till end of quarantine, so cleaned the heck out of the garage/brewery, with many rest breaks. Also just gave the husband his monthly haircut, I'm getting good at that. I'll more than likely be working both days this weekend, so I planned an easy brewday tomorrow with a lemon drop blonde. Need to build the pipeline back up.
Good to hear you're up and brewing. Hopefully, your poke kept the worst of covid at bay, and a little homebrew did the rest of the heavy lifting. :ban:

Back