What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My critters are happily churning away and it smells divine

Attachments

• IMG_20210120_201752.jpg
    IMG_20210120_201752.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 38
Checked in on Tuesday's batch and the 1318 is still raging even running at 64°F beer temperature.
Keeping on eye on those two 'boys lest they start working that catch bottle.

ab_21jan2021_01.jpg

Gonna brew again tomorrow, so I got the brew rig all staged and ready to go in the morning.
Just filling the kettles with RO water now...

ab_21jan2021_02.jpg

Cheers!

[edit] Was down in the brew space to pull a beer and triple check everything was ready. Watching the bubbler attached to the end of my keg purging system with the two kegs attached to the currently fermenting brew. Boom! It suddenly dawned on me, my having teed my two primary fermentation fridges' purge lines together meant I couldn't purge the next pair of kegs while the first ones were still purging! Arrgh!

Blessedly I had plenty of 5mm ID EVABarrier tubing, CMB QDs, and one more 1/4" FFL PTC connector than I needed to set up a second, independent line, so I'm back on track for the AM. Woof! :D

ab_21jan2021_03.jpg

Last edited:
Yesterday: Blew the crap off my red rye at night IPA and had a couple pints. Thanks @JAReeves for sharing the recipe, I really am enjoying this beer. The chinook and rye worked very well together, not over powering hop aroma and flavor but enough to keep it interesting.

Today: Brewed a Cali Cream Ale, but will actual ferment it as a lager. I am using Great Western California Select malt, homegrown cascade hops and a combination of glass corn and over ripe sweet corn I allowed dry on the stalk. It is only a 3gal batch, 5lb of malt, 1lb of corn and 1oz of hops. Should of used California lager yeast but it is whitelabs 835 Lager X.
View attachment 715414

This is during the cereal mash, you can see a slight purple color to the liquid from the glass corn.
View attachment 715416

Finished product, quite pale in the hydro tube but a nice golden color in the glass.
View attachment 715417

Glad you like the recipe! Are those green pucks the hop pellets sized for kegs/barrels? I have never seen one before. I thought they were like unicorns or the Easter Bunny.

Checked in on Tuesday's batch and the 1318 is still raging even running at 64°F beer temperature.
Keeping on eye on those two 'boys lest they start working that catch bottle.

View attachment 715463

Gonna brew again tomorrow, so I got the brew rig all staged and ready to go in the morning.
Just filling the kettles with RO water now...

View attachment 715464

Cheers!

[edit] Was down in the brew space to pull a beer and triple check everything was ready. Watching the bubbler attached to the end of my keg purging system with the two kegs attached to the currently fermenting brew. Boom! It suddenly dawned on me, my having teed my two primary fermentation fridges' purge lines together meant I couldn't purge the next pair of kegs while the first ones were still purging! Arrgh!

Blessedly I had plenty of 5mm ID EVABarrier tubing, CMB QDs, and one more 1/4" FFL PTC connector than I needed to set up a second, independent line, so I'm back on track for the AM. Woof! :D

View attachment 715474
Technical questions:
1. Do you just leave the water system hooked up all the time?
2. Do you use it for other things or just beer water filtration?
3. Do you need to open it and dry out the filters in between use?
4. How long do filters last?

I am not happy with my one canister system and finding activated charcoal filters that fit it and don't leak, so I am thinking of changing it up.

Technical questions:[...]

1. Yes. There is a feedwater shutoff if needed but it's always open.

2. It's dedicated to the brewery - I don't like the character of RO water for drinking and it's caustic AF to boot. I make up my ~6 gallon Star San reservoir with it - lasts forever and cheaper than buying distilled water. Also use it for rinsing my pH meters. etc.

3. No. I actually have a waste water solenoid that prevents any water from draining out when the system isn't producing just to avoid having any part of the membrane go dry.

4. I got 3 years out of my previous, 50gpd filter, and it did not have the advantage of being run every night to produce a quart of product (controlled by that black box). So there were times it sat unused for weeks (travel away from home, primarily) which isn't good for the membrane. This one is going on two years now and is still bringing my 300 tds water down to 10 or below. Given the low volume but babied treatment I expect it should last a few years longer. And it only cost $37...

I recommend giving HBT member Russ @Buckeye_Hydro a PM as he is very generous with his time here and helped me put my 100gpd system together...

Cheers!

Glad you like the recipe! Are those green pucks the hop pellets sized for kegs/barrels? I have never seen one before. I thought they were like unicorns or the Easter Bunny.
Those are 1/2oz pucks of compressed hops from the backyard. No unicorns or rabbits required, just a big C-clamp and a piece of 1.5in PVC tube. Greatly reduces the volume needed to store them. I got the idea somewhere here on HBT.

Those are 1/2oz pucks of compressed hops from the backyard. No unicorns or rabbits required, just a big C-clamp and a piece of 1.5in PVC tube. Greatly reduces the volume needed to store them. I got the idea somewhere here on HBT.

That makes me miss the old hop plug format. I really liked those! They were a nice compromise between T90s and whole leaf.

That makes me miss the old hop plug format. I really liked those! They were a nice compromise between T90s and whole leaf.
I never used plugged hops so dont know how these compare. These pretty much flake back into hops cones with a little prodding. The pressure does seem to bring some of the oils outs and help hold them together.

This is the setup, They need to sit under pressure for a while(over night) to stay compressed. I Think that was 1oz of cones. That is about all that will fit in the tube with just a little finger pressure.

IMG_1058 - Copy.JPG

Last edited:
Not sure what I would do with 12lbs, in my best year I think I got 3 pounds or so and that was too much for me. I keep the trellis shorter now which limits the harvest and I try to use as much as I can in a couple massive wet hop beers so no processing. I probable do about a pound worth of plugs spread out over a month or so.

I think some people do a bigger tube which would make it a little faster. Not sure how they get the hops back out as it takes some force to get the 1oz plugs out.

Drew a FG sample from the Munich In Tents marzen in the fermenter. 1.015, so it's pretty much down to bottling strength, but I'm going to let it sit in the fermenter another week or two before banishing the bottles to the garage for a long winter's nap.

Tastes malty up front with a clean finish. Assistent Braumeister says it will go good with food; that sounds like oktoberfest bier to me!

Busy day! kegged a best bitter, brewed an imperial stout, brewing a citra pale ale (first double brew day), dunkel was getting low so I suffered through a few pints and transferred the rest to a pop bottle so I could clean out the keg to co2 purge it with the fermentation gas from the pale ale.

Already have laundry and a good fire started, in a few I'll pull the stout out of the ferment fridge to settle before kegging. Then the Holiday Ale that's currently in the kegerator comes out for some extended aging time in the garage. It's good, but in 5 years of brewing I've never been able to age anything beyond a month or two; going to leave this one until next winter since I have plenty of usable kegs. Was originally going to bottle it off the keg, but that's too much work.

IMG_2699.JPG

6 gallons from a 5.5 gallon batch. I added the entire starter.

IMG_2696.JPG

My BIAB sparge setup. A pot lid, a cookie sheet, a metal bowl under the sheet, in my equipment storage bin. The smaller pot is my reserve sparge water, the rest of the wort is in the Blichmann. I used the sous vide to heat the sparge water since the stove had this on it up until that point:
IMG_2694.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_2699.JPG
    IMG_2699.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 7
View attachment 715899
6 gallons from a 5.5 gallon batch. I added the entire starter.

View attachment 715900
My BIAB sparge setup. A pot lid, a cookie sheet, a metal bowl under the sheet, in my equipment storage bin. The smaller pot is my reserve sparge water, the rest of the wort is in the Blichmann. I used the sous vide to heat the sparge water since the stove had this on it up until that point:
View attachment 715902

Wow! Not to be forward, I mean we don't really know each other, but you may want a blow-off tube on that one. It's a little tight, in the headspace department.

Checked the gravity of my mead since I was seeing zero activity in the airlock or krausen and it had been about a week. Luckily it IS fermenting, but you wouldn't know by looking at it. Hit it with the last nutrient addition and oxygen, and going to let it ride for now.

Cleaned and sanitized keg (Obi Ron Wheat) that emptied last night. Replaced right side tap beer line, first time since new almost 7 years ago. Now both taps have new 10 foot beer lines (serving kegs @ 42F and 12 psi). Tapped 5 gallon keg of Grapefruit Radler. Will be having a refreshing pint along with my fresh-baked pumpernickle spent-grain bread once it cools down from being pulled from the oven. Life is good!

Back